Commitment to helping underserved: To mention or Not to mention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey everyone,

I took an International Health class a couple years ago and became interested in public health issues and think I would really like to do some work in a developing nation after getting my MD. For a while, I was really interested in joining the Peace Corps, but decided against it b/c I figure I can do more help working abroad after I get my MD. So my dilema: I would like to include this in my secondaries, especially to schools that have good foreign study programs and highly value commitment to working with underserved populations. BUT, I have never even visited a developing nation and don't want to come across as naive and just trying to say what will please adcoms... What do you guys think? Should I just leave it out of my secondaries so it doesn't hurt me in the end?

Members don't see this ad.

I mentioned it and I've never been to a developing nation. In my case, I'm applying MSTP and I presented it in the framework that I'm interested in researching/treating diseases that largely afflict the poor... and I've researched such diseases, and done public health awareness stuff in the U.S. I figure I've demonstrated as much interest as one can as an undergrad w/o the money or medical skills to really do anything to help underserved populations abroad. If it's a sincere interest and you have even a tangentially related experience to support your interest, I say go for it.

Thundrstorm said:
I mentioned it and I've never been to a developing nation. In my case, I'm applying MSTP and I presented it in the framework that I'm interested in researching/treating diseases that largely afflict the poor... and I've researched such diseases, and done public health awareness stuff in the U.S. I figure I've demonstrated as much interest as one can as an undergrad w/o the money or medical skills to really do anything to help underserved populations abroad. If it's a sincere interest and you have even a tangentially related experience to support your interest, I say go for it.

Would you consider tutoring underserved girls in a very urban city a tangentially related experience? That's about all I can come up with. I haven't really done any public health awareness, or anything like that... It's just something I could see myself doing in the future and I think my personality/outlook on life fits with it. Hmm... still not sure if I should mention it. It seems a better fit for you then it does for me. Anyone else have an opinion??

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really feel like you want to help undeserved people, then definitely mention it. Of course, it will help that you have done something that demonstrates your desire to help those less fortunate, but it doesn't necessarily have to be visiting a developed country.

Helping the underserved was the main theme in my application last year. I mentioned this in most of my secondaries and during all my interviews. But I have worked with underserved communities extensively for the past 3 years locally. So it might help if you have shown your commitment to the underserved.

Leaving it out to cater to Adcoms to make it look like you're not catering to adcoms seems slightly bizarre when you think about it. Leave it in- it's such a great thing. I understand the danger in being/looking overly idealistic, but if that's you, then I think it's a good thing. We could probably use more of you.

unfrozencaveman said:
Leaving it out to cater to Adcoms to make it look like you're not catering to adcoms seems slightly bizarre when you think about it. Leave it in- it's such a great thing. I understand the danger in being/looking overly idealistic, but if that's you, then I think it's a good thing. We could probably use more of you.
I kind of hope that adcoms would prefer that we are still a little idealistic at the outset. I'd hate to see what I'd be like in a few years if I entered med school already overly cynical.

Hey I have a question, what is the term used for the area in medicine for medically serving under-served communities? is it called "community medicine" or is it something else? As in what county organizations do?

Hey everyone,

I took an International Health class a couple years ago and became interested in public health issues and think I would really like to do some work in a developing nation after getting my MD. For a while, I was really interested in joining the Peace Corps, but decided against it b/c I figure I can do more help working abroad after I get my MD. So my dilema: I would like to include this in my secondaries, especially to schools that have good foreign study programs and highly value commitment to working with underserved populations. BUT, I have never even visited a developing nation and don't want to come across as naive and just trying to say what will please adcoms... What do you guys think? Should I just leave it out of my secondaries so it doesn't hurt me in the end?

Just be prepared for a question about how you have tested this interest in work in developing nations.

Do you know that most people in developing nations live in cities (shanty towns, slums)? Would you be willing to do volunteer work in a US inner city? Would you be willing to volunteer in a remote, rural village in the US? Would you be willing to volunteer with non-English speaking immigrants or refuges in the US?

Can you deal with electricity for just a couple of hours per day (if at all)? Can you deal with running water for a few hours per day (if at all)? Can you deal with the lack of comforts we take for granted in the US? (Have you ever lived in a house that didn't have hot & cold running water?)

Peace Corps is a good way to test yourself in a developing country. There are also domestic equivalent programs. Until you've lived it, you can't really say that you'd like to do it as an MD. Consider it the international equivalent of shadowing.