Committee letter contains more letters than required (allowed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bubblemaker

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello friends!

I'm applying to (only) MD/PhD programs this year. Since many programs expect a letter from every PI I have worked with, notably Harvard, Penn, and NYU, I included all of them in my committee letter, which came to a total number of 7 letters in that composite letter.

I wonder for some schools that only expect, say, 5 letters, will the inclusion of 7 letters be a problem? My intuition is that it doesn't matter that much, but curious if anyone has opposite opinions.

Thank you so much!
 
Hello friends!

I'm applying to (only) MD/PhD programs this year. Since many programs expect a letter from every PI I have worked with, notably Harvard, Penn, and NYU, I included all of them in my committee letter, which came to a total number of 7 letters in that composite letter.

I wonder for some schools that only expect, say, 5 letters, will the inclusion of 7 letters be a problem? My intuition is that it doesn't matter that much, but curious if anyone has opposite opinions.

Thank you so much!
It doesn't matter. The committee letter supersedes individual letter requirements. It definitely helps for your MSTP applications that want all those PI letters.