committee letter enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding LOR's. So I'm in a post-bacc program that requires me to ask science professors to fill out evaluation forms and submit them to the pre-health committee which then writes a committee letter. Now does this mean that the committee letter fulfills the LOR recommendation? Or do I need to ask professors to write a seperate LOR to send out AND fill out the sheet? I realize I should probably ask the pre-health committee, but I am trying to find out if the case is similar for all committee letters.

Generally, is it enough on my part to submit a committee letter as my "science professor/educational" LOR? Do I have to worry about sending out individual letters also?

Members don't see this ad.

The committee letter trumps the individual LORs.

A lot of time the committee letters summarize the individual ones. Some schools append the individual ones as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
vtucci said:
A lot of time the committee letters summarize the individual ones. Some schools append the individual ones as well.

The committee letter is not only a compilation of the LORs from the profs at that institution, it is also the committee's assessment of your candidacy to medical school. The way it worked at my institution, the committee chair would meet with students asking for a committee letter and after a review, would let the student know if they could give an outstanding (or something less than such) letter and give the student the option of revoking the request. If the student still wants the letter, they then attach the original LORs to the committee letter and send them to the schools that the candidate is applying to.

Over here, they collect all of our LORs, then when you decide to put the letter together. They review or LORs, then we are interviewed by one of the two physicians in the program. From there they will write a composite letter which will include materials from the interview, and highlight the main points from the other LORs. Of course the other LORs are also attached when the committee letter is sent to the med schools.

Therefore if this is the way your school works, then you will need to get LORs, AND a committee letter.

At my school, the committee letter is just a standardized cover letter for all of the individual LORs (which are the REAL LORs that are submitted.) I didn't have to talk to anyone about my committee letter -- I just filled out a form that said who my "committee" would be (i.e. the Professors + Others that were writing my LORs.)

Judging by the different responses that everybody is posting, this is something that is different for pretty much every school, so you might have to look into this yourself....

Jota