Committee Letter for MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarcoplasmicReticulumCa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

The requirement is 2 science professor, 1 humanity professor and research letters. To those of you who have gone through with the committee letter process, did you submit the research letters to the committee or did you submit those separately through AMCAS?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Committee letters usually means committee packet (the committee letter and all other letters). plus the committee letter depends on your other letters too so submit them to your school'starts committee

What is an acceptable reason to bypass the committee... members of the committee has repeatedly given false information to me and the packet will likely be submitted very late into the cycle, but I can't exactly bad-mouth anyone when asked why I don't have a committee letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is an acceptable reason to bypass the committee... members of the committee has repeatedly given false information to me and the packet will likely be submitted very late into the cycle, but I can't exactly bad-mouth anyone when asked why I don't have a committee letter.
It's in your reply: tell them you were concerned about the committee letter being uploaded late, so you decided to go individual letters to not hurt your chances. Depending on your school's requirements you may be able to make up an excuse. IE if they require a health professional's LOR, just say you

Why is it late? Did you submit the letter application late? Some schools like John Hopkins requires it, so no go for those schools for you.

Care to elaborate on "false information"?

It's in your reply: tell them you were concerned about the committee letter being uploaded late, so you decided to go individual letters to not hurt your chances. Depending on your school's requirements you may be able to make up an excuse. IE if they require a health professional's LOR, just say you

Why is it late? Did you submit the letter application late? Some schools like John Hopkins requires it, so no go for those schools for you.

Care to elaborate on "false information"?

Forgot my password to that account...
So there's 4 advisors on the committee, no one has a phD except for one person with PhD in humanities. One person is more like an administrator while the other two are lecturers. Yesterday I asked a question in our meeting whether the letter would be ready to go in June or July if I have everything ready for them on time. The person said that there's "no correlation between when you send in application vs chance of getting interview, so it doesn't matter when it's send in" and that "the letter writing is extremely long process, blah blah." One person is my advisor for class and I just get wrong information about classes and graduation requirements. I've taken their classes and worked with them as TA, and I can't say I have a lot of confidence in them.

I'm not sure how I can explain my way out of a committee letter without bashing these people and I do not want to do that in my application.

Last edited:
They'll ask on your secondary. My school hires professional letter writers to write the letters.

I'm not sure how I can explain my way out of a committee letter without bashing these people and I do not want to do that in my application.

Not having a committee letter from a school that has a committee is a big red flag. You can't explain your way out of it. Just play their game.

Not having a committee letter from a school that has a committee is a big red flag. You can't explain your way out of it. Just play their game.
Well, I would not say that is entirely true. On rare occasions there are decent explanations. My friend wants to apply for the 2017/2018 cycle. Our school requires a certain amount of shadowing hours plus a letter from a health professional and the deadline is just under 3 months. She doesn't have shadowing and it's unlikely she'll meet the requirements for a committee letter. I'm sure that's a good explanation, but we'll see how it plays out. She'll be working on your clinical experiences soon, but she definitely won't have her shadowing hours done by the deadline.

Yeah, just have to go through with that. Also, the committee requires all recommendation in February, I will likely have additional recommendations later, can that go as individual or does that have to go to the committee too.

Well, I would not say that is entirely true. On rare occasions there are decent explanations. My friend wants to apply for the 2017/2018 cycle. Our school requires a certain amount of shadowing hours plus a letter from a health professional and the deadline is just under 3 months. She doesn't have shadowing and it's unlikely she'll meet the requirements for a committee letter. I'm sure that's a good explanation, but we'll see how it plays out. She'll be working on your clinical experiences soon, but she definitely won't have her shadowing hours done by the deadline.
Wouldn't that suggest that there was a requirement the applicant was unable to fulfill, which resulted in lack of committee letter. Which is more of the student's fault for not keeping on top of things?

Wouldn't that suggest that there was a requirement the applicant was unable to fulfill, which resulted in lack of committee letter. Which is more of the student's fault for not keeping on top of things?
She will have plenty of clinical/shadowing experience when she applies the coming summer, but yes, she isn't exactly known for being on top of things, even though ironically, she is really smart. I suggested she take a year off to shadow and gain clinical experience, but she refuses to listen to me. I won't lie, it'll be fun to see how this plays out. She does have tremendous research experience in two labs, however.

She will have plenty of clinical/shadowing experience when she applies the coming summer, but yes, she isn't exactly known for being on top of things, even though ironically, she is really smart. I suggested she take a year off to shadow and gain clinical experience, but she refuses to listen to me. I won't lie, it'll be fun to see how this plays out. She does have tremendous research experience in two labs, however.
I decided to go through with the committee process. This entire process is so daunting...