Committee letters holding up your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willington76

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the health professions office at my school says they will not send out committee letters until August (probably after the 15th) and well I'm pissed. I'm sure other people are in the same boat, and as someone who's applying to schools within Texas (my home state) I feel that this delay will unnecessarily hold-up my application, especially since I've submitted everything else already.
Does anybody have any advice on this matter b/c I've already tried sending a few emails to people who work in the office and they've just responded with general statements like "there's no need to worry." I guess I don't understand why they hypocritically tell us to apply early and then expect us to wait 2+ months for letters.
Any input is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, that sucks, but it really looks like you can't do anything to change it. Have all your stuff in so that once they submit it, your apps are complete. It's the best you can do in this situation.

I don't even know if my school's committee meets in the summer. So I have no idea if it'll be sent in in July or late August, when classes start. Seems like logically they should send them out in the summer if the application for a LOR is submitted...I mean, profs have to do stuff during the school year too, get them done early!

I'm in the same boat. They just guarantee it will be by Aug. 31st which sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider yourself somewhat lucky. My school didnt' sent mine in until mid-october, so I wasn't considered completed until well in november, which for an average applicant -- is not a good move. And I had already submitted evvverything in by July.

Consider yourself somewhat lucky. My school didnt' sent mine in until mid-october, so I wasn't considered completed until well in november, which for an average applicant -- is not a good move. And I had already submitted evvverything in by July.

Another reason why advising offices simply end up hurting applicants most of the time?

Good friend of mine, near 4.0, amazing test scores, great ECs.. our advisor gave hive a terrible evaluation letter simply because he only spoke with him once a year. An interviewer confronted him about it, completely off guard because who would except a poor evaluation with those credentials?

Another reason why advising offices simply end up hurting applicants most of the time?

Good friend of mine, near 4.0, amazing test scores, great ECs.. our advisor gave hive a terrible evaluation letter simply because he only spoke with him once a year. An interviewer confronted him about it, completely off guard because who would except a poor evaluation with those credentials?

Ugh! What a douche... I wouldn't even speak to him once a year after that. Well, I may say a few other words of my mind (but, that shouldn't count ;)).

Oh no that's awful!! I hope mine is good:scared: luckily my pre-med advisor is a big advocate of getting your apps in early though so he composes them whenever you ask him.

So the health professions office at my school says they will not send out committee letters until August (probably after the 15th) and well I'm pissed. I'm sure other people are in the same boat, and as someone who's applying to schools within Texas (my home state) I feel that this delay will unnecessarily hold-up my application, especially since I've submitted everything else already.
Does anybody have any advice on this matter b/c I've already tried sending a few emails to people who work in the office and they've just responded with general statements like "there's no need to worry." I guess I don't understand why they hypocritically tell us to apply early and then expect us to wait 2+ months for letters.
Any input is appreciated

Did they give a reason for this delay? This doesn't make sense... especially in Texas. I started pushing my committee a few weeks ago and they finally sent them in a couple of weeks ago.. and I thought that was pushing it LoL I can't believe that a Texas committee would delay your process until August!

Oh I guess I should have stated that I went to the University of Chicago, but am a Texas resident. And I should mention that all letters of rec had to be submitted to the office by May 1st (which they have been) and I interviewed with a committee member back in April so there's nothing preventing them from sending something out now. I suppose the lack of an explanation from them frustrates me the most.