Committee Packets vs Individual PI letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted728364

I was hoping that some of the adcom members on here could comment on the value of a committee letter for MD/PhD admissions. My understanding of MD/PhD admissions is that the individual letters of PIs are the most important part of the application (perhaps also the applicant's essays). Additionally, it's my understanding that letters from course professors are far less important (though can provide insight into the applicants character etc). As such, it sounds to me like committee packets would be important for the MD side of admissions, but the actual MD/PhD adcom wouldn't really care for the committee packet itself. I am sure this incredibly school specific, but can the adcoms on here weigh in on how committee packet is used to assess applicants at their MD/PhD program?

I have read on here that it's a good idea to send PI letters separately with the committee letter, so again this makes me wonder what the use of the committee letter is specifically for MD/PhD admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least at my school, the committee letter was basically a cover sheet for the applicant. It summarized their grades, class standing, committee impressions/recommendation, and included quotes from the individual letters. After the committee letter, all other submitted letters were appended unedited and in full.

If your school does something similar, then no need to worry about Adcoms not seeing the full PI letters. If they do not, then have your PIs submit their individual letters directly to the AMCAS letter service.

Reactions: 1 user
Committee letters are less common than in the past. I have found them to be useful adjuncts to the letters from PIs. They can provide an additional perspective and background, and are often helpful in explaining any difficulties or unusual circumstances. That being said, the PI evaluations are undoubtedly more important than any other letters.

Reactions: 1 users