Common days for interviewing (MSTP too)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gizzdogg

keeper of the three lions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm just thinking ahead here. I'll be interviewing in the fall and will also be taking a small, but crucial load of classes. I'll be taking PChem and two labs. The labs especially make it necessary for me to be at the university Monday , Tuesday and Wednesday of just about every week. So what this means for me is that i can really only interview on thursdays and fridays. So here's what i'm asking. Are there common days for med schools to interview for MD programs? What about the two-day MSTP interviews? Are they commonly toward the end of the week? And should my schedule be a problem? I'm sure there must be others out there with the same problem. Has it bothered y'all? Thanks- Gizz

Members don't see this ad.

So far I've scheduled six regular MD interviews: four Fridays, one Thursday, and one Monday.

Later in the week seems to be typical for interviews.

Hope this helps!

1 Monday
2 Wed
1 Thurs
1 Fri
1 Fri/Sat
1 Sat

Forget about scheduling around interviews. Might want to take a lighter load though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools have Friday interviews. I think you'd be able to make it work. You might want to be extra-diligent about calling ahead to try and schedule same-area schools together on the two days you are totally free. I slacked off in this and ended up visiting some of the same cities twice or more. that kind of sucked (though I was grateful for the interviews).

Most MD/PhD interviews occur on Thurs/Fridays.

Yale is on Mon/Tues, Hopkins on Wed/Thurs. There are some other exceptions to the rule also but I cant remember what they are.

Originally posted by sorrento:
•Most schools have Friday interviews. •••

Uh, hate to burst that bubble of optimism, but I've found that some schools only interview on Tuesday, some only on Tuesday and Thursday, some only on Wednesday, and some have a very odd dates-available schedule. Plus, when you call to schedule (if they don't just inform you when to show up without giving you any choice at all -- usually, in this case, you can re-schedule) all the slots on the day of the week you want could be full. Of the 12 interviews I've received thus far, here's my break-down:

Tues (3), Wed (3), Thursday (4) Fri (2)

MCPHhahnemann offers Saturday interview slots.

I interviewed w/5 of my schools very early in the process and with the exception of GW (that did offer a Friday two months later) all were on Mondays. I usually requested Mondays though as I do research and it's the best day to miss lab meetings!

Anyway, here are the schools were I interviewed and the days they offered for reference.

Einstein: M-F
GW: M,H,F
MCP: M-F
NYMC: M-H
Temple: M-F