Common interview questions/atypical interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

So, in preparing for interview prep, I have googled interview questions and...they seem really generic. Feeling that these generic questions may not reflect reality, I am curious, from the adcoms and advisors of SDN, what would you recommend as the most high-yield and common interview questions you ask? What are the more common yet atypical questions you ask of applicants that throw them off? What kinds of answers do you 'like to see'?

*Obviously providing authentic and truthful answers that address the question not a) what I think you want to hear or b) my talking points. I understand these things are conversational in nature (or at least should be? maybe?)*

@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @gyngyn @Moko @Catalystik @Angus Avagadro @DokterMom @OrthoTraumaMD......That is all I know off the top of my head

Members don't see this ad.

Not an interview question but do you sleep at all? Every time I check the forum you are online

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
Not an interview question but do you sleep at all? Every time I check the forum you are online
Midnight to 6! Sometimes 1 to 7 or 3 to 6 or whatever. Army killed my circadian rhythm, now I survive off of whatever. Never really get tired! I am not active all of the time on here lol just a separate tab. Up late editing Duke now...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Midnight to 6! Sometimes 1 to 7 or 3 to 6 or whatever. Army killed my circadian rhythm, now I survive off of whatever. Never really get tired! I am not active all of the time on here lol just a separate tab. Up late editing Duke now...
I am not going to buy it, you just want to see pre-med memes and news firsto_O

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly dude, I really hope you get into medical school. No joke. I don’t think there is another human being on the planet that wants this more than you. In fact, I think if you walked into some schools and were like “I’m the mother ****ing MemeLord,” you wouldn’t have to worry about interview questions because they would accept you on the spot just to get you off SDN.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 28 users
Honestly dude, I really hope you get into medical school. No joke. I don’t think there is another human being on the planet that wants this more than you. In fact, I think if you walked into some schools and we’re like “I’m the mother ****ing MemeLord,” you wouldn’t have to worry about interview questions because they would accept you on the spot just to get you off SDN.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sounds encouraging, now I just need to post 20+ messages each day to get the same reputation, but I am afraid we already have Walter...

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Let’s revive these two fun threads:

Reactions: 3 users
I am curious, from the adcoms and advisors of SDN, what would you recommend as the most high-yield and common interview questions you ask? What are the more common yet atypical questions you ask of applicants that throw them off?
See SDN's School-Specific Interview Feedback site, which gives a broad view of questions asked at each school.

As the cover of my Interview Manual says For Your Eyes Only-Not to Be Shared, if I told you what it says, I'd lose my Top Secret security clearance. We can't have that, now can we?

Reactions: 9 users
I like to see answers that are not rehearsed although that gets more difficult late in the cycle as I'm interviewing applicants who have answered a similar question 10 times already. This means you shouldn't write down and memorize your ideal responses to typical questions but think about typical prompts and turn them over in your mind so that you have some ideas formulated when something comes up in conversation.

I like to see answers that answer the question rather than hearing the applicant march out a prepared response to a similar question on the same topic. This means that you should listen to the question and respond to it rather than listening to two words such as "future plans", "work place", "memorable patient" and giving your rote response.

Keep in mind that I am assessing your ability to communicate verbally (vocabulary, grammar, fluidity, etc), your affect and deportment, your curiosity and your time management skills. We can talk about many things and I can use the information to answer the prompts on my interviewer sheet.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Lots if standard questions, we already know you're smart enough or we would not have invited you for an interview. We want to get to know you. Be prepared to talk about what makes you unique, hobbies, life experiences, family, etc.
Often, I ask an open ended question and then take the opposing position to what you offer. I want to see how you process, integrate, and express your views when they are challenged. Can I get you to change your views? I also am watching your demeanor when you are speaking. So project warmth, intelligence, and grace when answering any question and you'll be fine. Good luck and best wishes.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Following.

I’m not an expert by any means but my advice for interviews is to:

1) Demonstrate you know what you’re getting into.

2) Be able to have a normal conversation.

3) Remain calm, cool, collected, and confident.

Don’t give a canned response. I wouldn’t worry too much about what specific questions will be asked, because it’s better if you can think about it and give a good answer on-the-spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
It is also always prudent to re-read your application and the secondary for the PARTICULAR school, carefully. As many people have said - 'anything is fair game that's on your application', so beyond the standard answers, look for places that may represent opportunities for the interviewer to ask a tough/challenging/thought-provoking question.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is also always prudent to re-read your application and the secondary for the PARTICULAR school, carefully. As many people have said - 'anything is fair game that's on your application', so beyond the standard answers, look for places that may represent opportunities for the interviewer to ask a tough/challenging/thought-provoking question.

Also make sure you’ve read up on the school so you can also ask people questions regarding things. It makes you look more interested.

If you’re given your interviewers’ names in advance, look up their bios and have a question ready that’s specific to them (their research, involvement with missions trips or community outreach, etc). It shows you went the extra mile.

Reactions: 2 users
If you’re given your interviewers’ names in advance, look up their bios and have a question ready that’s specific to them (their research, involvement with missions trips or community outreach, etc). It shows you went the extra mile.
Absolutely do this if given the opportunity, and if possible ask current students if they know your interviewer as they can also give you good advice about them.

Reactions: 1 users
We're encouraged at our school to avoid 'stress interviews' that purposely throw applicants off. Speaking very generally: the goal is to make sure that an applicant in person matches them on paper -- after all, someone is invited for interview based on the qualities demonstrated on their application. I also look to make sure that they have appropriate social skills and sense of humor, are graceful with others, confident but not arrogant, humble but not shy, and are active listeners.

After each interview, I ask whether I can see myself teaching them over the next several years, having them as my colleagues in the not-too-distant future, and being taken care of by them should I fall ill. The answer to these questions should be an emphatic 'yes'.

Reactions: 9 users

Or it shows that you are a bit of a stalker. I think I'd feel a little creeped out if someone was searching my university page, Facebook and LInkedIn in the waiting room before meeting me.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
This creeps me out. The first time it happened, I felt like I needed a shower.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
So, in preparing for interview prep, I have googled interview questions and...they seem really generic. Feeling that these generic questions may not reflect reality, I am curious, from the adcoms and advisors of SDN, what would you recommend as the most high-yield and common interview questions you ask? What are the more common yet atypical questions you ask of applicants that throw them off? What kinds of answers do you 'like to see'?

*Obviously providing authentic and truthful answers that address the question not a) what I think you want to hear or b) my talking points. I understand these things are conversational in nature (or at least should be? maybe?)*

@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif @gyngyn @Moko @Catalystik @Angus Avagadro @DokterMom @OrthoTraumaMD......That is all I know off the top of my head

Have you looked through the interview feedback section of SDN? You'll find that a lot of questions are indeed generic. That's why I never ask them...I know I'll get a canned answer, and I despise those.

I like to ask questions from way out in left field. I expect people to be able to think on their feet, and also deal with hypotheticals.

No, I'm not sharing.

You should be able to talk like a normal human being, like you're talking to your gramma, or any person you meet on an elevator, a bus stop, or in line at Starbucks. Rattling off talking points is reject material.

Some of my favorite interview questions come from SDN, or from reading Dear Abby.

Have you read this?
Goro's Guide to Interviews

• Haha
I don’t think there is another human being on the planet that wants this more than you
Trust me, I do not hold a candle to the wants and desires of many of these "wanted to be a doctor since I was a child," types. I am committed to the pathway and i'll be damned if I don't try my best, but if I don't get in then I will try again, and move on. Not the end of the world. Severely disappointing, still.
just to get you off SDN.
I am sorry you seem upset by my SDN frequency. Truth be told, I am just the kind of person who asks A LOT of questions. As a first-gen student with a wholly lacking pre-med adviser network at a podunk university whose friends are predominantly non-traditional, non-science majors - SDN is about the only place I can come to ask my questions. So I ask so I can prepare myself the best I can because, as mentioned, I otherwise would have literally zero preparation. I post on other people's threads because I see hundreds who are just like me -little to know external resources, and I have been round these parts enough to give at least mostly correct information to help them out. That is what we are....a community to help others out, correct? I don't want any student to have to be in the position of lacking information, so I help all that I can. So again, I apologize you are annoyed by my frequent presence here, but I am just here to help.

• Love
See SDN's School-Specific Interview Feedback site, which gives a broad view of questions asked at each school.
I have played around with that a little bit, but was unsure how representative it was. I will definitely explore it a lot further, thank you for the feedback! Also, it is a lot more than 20 per day lol
What's the worst place you've ever had diarrhea?
Guessing this is sarcasm, but will have an answer ready for you when you ask it! You will know my application when you see it...if I am at your school for an interview, ask me this. Please. I will prepare an answer lol
I was saving that for a few weeks from now! As of now my first interview is not for a month....so I want the Goro wisdom fresh in my mind! Will def be exploring the school-specific interview site, however.

To everyone else, thank you for all of the information! This was a lot more productive of a thread than I expected to wake up to! Again, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.