Common Retail Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MV777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how other pharmacists answer these common questions and if you can share yours- just trying to see if I can improve my responses.
1 How to prevent reoccuring yeast infections? Do you ever recommend probiotics? I know it's fungal but have read some articles stating probiotics have potential.
2 Difference between probiotics available? Which one to take?
3 How to help with ringing in the ear?
4 How are Zarbee products for children?
5 How to dispose of old/expired medications? (Have heard of pharmacists recommending to put them in a ziploc bag full of coffee grinds then throw in the trash, but do not understand why this should be recommended)
6 Can coupon (non-manufacturer like goodrx) be used on controls?

Thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3) Usually just refer him/her to an ENT. Not a fan of being a salesman for LIPOFLAVIN or Mg2+ products with scant evidence

4) Just read up on Homeopathic labeling...notice some of the products do not even have expiration dates. Not very optimistic about them & just tell them the facts about the products & how little merit there is in the claims

5) In coffee grinds or kitty litter or dirt (idea being to obscure the appearance of the drugs from "treasure hunters"). Exceptions being its still ok to flush opioids and certain amphetamines due to the high abuse potential. Fold patches in half (sticky ends together) before discarding. Other: usually some police departments will hold scheduled drug take back days

6) Depends where you work/policy. Do not change dates

God damn it I am not answering #2!@#!@#!@@!!@@ (due to vagueness)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1. ummm....better hygiene?
2. you want to recommend a variety of strains for diversity (4 strains) or do a yeast like Florastor which can't be killed by the antibiotics
3. probably not much--it's just a condition of old age---some OTC stuff are lipoflavenoids (pills) or some homeopathic drops

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering how other pharmacists answer these common questions and if you can share yours- just trying to see if I can improve my responses.
1 How to prevent reoccuring yeast infections? Do you ever recommend probiotics? I know it's fungal but have read some articles stating probiotics have potential.
5 How to dispose of old/expired medications? (Have heard of pharmacists recommending to put them in a ziploc bag full of coffee grinds then throw in the trash, but do not understand why this should be recommended)
Thanks for any insight.

I've always wanted to ask people who recommend probiotics for vaginal yeast infections what route the microorganism takes from the esophagus to the vagina.

Reactions: 5 users
1. Not sure. From online research, probiotics are often recommended in the sense of "evening out your microflora". But as mentioned earlier, I'm not totally sold on probiotics in the GI tract influencing vaginal flora soo... pH test?
2. I don't really think it matters much. NOW brand from amazon is purchased often. Even if there is a benefit to taking probiotics, the benefit only seems to matter if taken over months and months. Even then, it's likely placebo.
5. There are quarterly drug take-back programs in my area that allow anyone to bring their meds to dispose of. But other than that, the only method I've heard that's "safe" is putting them in coffee grounds or kitty litter. They're better than the alternative of throwing them in the trash (animals and people can find meds) or flushing them (contaminating water supply)
6. Yes. At my chain, it's the first option I would recommend if they don't have insurance.

I've always wanted to ask people who recommend probiotics for vaginal yeast infections what route the microorganism takes from the esophagus to the vagina.
Hmm so you're telling me they're not suppositories?

Reactions: 3 users

1) See the doctor. Reoccuring yeast infections is a symptom of other diseases (diabetes, HIV+, hypothyrodism, etc.) so they need to be checked out. Also, recommend that their partner be checked out/treated, it is possible for a yeast infection to be passed back and forth between a couple. Probiotics? As a short term solution, sure, it's not going to hurt to try.

2) I have no idea. I know they like to advertise there are big differences between the different brands, but I have my doubts.

3) See a doctor. OTC crap isn't going to help unless the person is vitamin B deficient, and most likely they aren't. If they have issues with earwax, then earwax could cause ringing, so I guess you could suggest Debrox. Cold/allergies/congestion could also cause it, so if they are suffering from that, Sudafed might help. But really, they need to be evaluated by the doctor, since there are so many different causes.

4) What is Zarbee? Is that homeopathic crap? If so, then it's a nice placebo, but that is all homeopathic crap is.

5) I tell people to throw them out in the trash. The idea of mixing them with coffee grounds or something is to potentially keep dumpster divers from finding the drugs and taking them. There is no good way to dispose of medication, but it must be disposed of, so the trash is the best option (better than flushing it down the toilet and putting it directly in the water supply.)

6) Probably depends on the card/pharmacy if it gives discounts on control's. I'm not aware of any legal reason why these cards couldn't cover control's, but whether or not they actually do probably varies.

At cvs it was against policy in my district to use discount cards on controls. Rx sup did not want us being a cheap hot spot for controls so this was enforced by the PICs. Ironically the two neighboring districts did not care.

Some local police stations have a Dropbox for expired meds. I refer my customers there.

You have to also tell them to wipe from back to front.

But not all yeast infections are in the vagina.

My dog used to get yeast infections in his ears. I changed his diet, so that might be an answer as well.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks for any insight.

1. See a doctor.

2. Probiotics are BS.

3. See a doctor.

4. Dietary supplements like Zarbee are BS, and may in fact be harmful. What's wrong with some Flintstones multivits?

5. Google if anywhere in your county will take them. Otherwise, the kitty litter/coffee grounds is good. Discourage routine flushing unless narcs.

6. Store policy.

But not all yeast infections are in the vagina.

My dog used to get yeast infections in his ears. I changed his diet, so that might be an answer as well.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
tenor.gif

Thanks for any insight.

1. Bathe better, stop Fxxxing around
2. generic brand, vsl if they look rich
3. what ever homeopathic baloney has a nice box
4.Zarbee is great its labeled for under 2 years. "we only sell the best stuff here sir/maam, other patients swear by it"
5. unless its warfarin/fentanyl just toss it in the trash
6. we do one attempt on any available billing info.

Ouch your questions hurt me and make me sad.

1) refer to PCP

2) no

3) no

4) no

5) drug take back events or mix with something unpalatable and throw away (prevent animals or people from getting into the drugs and dying).

6) yes

No reason to support a homeopathic product like Zarbee's. I recommend briefly explaining the tenets of homeopathy (like cures like, more dilutions equals greater potency). I think parents should be told that the "active ingredients" of homeopathic substances are frequently toxic. It is reasonable to mention that these toxic substances are usually diluted to the point where they statistically don't exist in the product. (larger numbers on the ingredients label means less of the potentially toxic ingredient). Homeopathic products are not very popular among people who understand what homeopathic products are.