Common Sense Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Simul and I hosted Aaron Goodman and Chris Booth on The Accelerators Podcast. They created Common Sense Oncology. If you have not heard, this is a new organization seeking to instill "common sense" back in to oncology by impacting evidence creation, evidence interpretation, and evidence communication. They have a Lancet publication and a lot of information at the link.

On the show, we talk about how it can be hard to be critical of mainstream oncology and some of the issues driving problems today. They shared a lot of information that I have not yet seen about CSO, such as specific future goals and how they will use donations. After recording the episode, I signed up for their mailing list and made a donation myself. They mentioned multiple times that they are hoping radiation oncologists get involved with CSO.

I try not to promote the podcast too much on this board, but there is a lot to be learned from Chris and Aaron on this episode. I think there is a need to instill "common sense" in to many aspects of radiation oncology, and this has always been an aspirational goal of The Accelerators Podcast. Given that, I was very inspired by the Lancet article and this episode (although Im biased on the latter haha).

Anyway, I am sharing this episode with hope that it will inspire people to speak up for "common sense" in the best way they can. Joining and/or donating to CSO seems like a pretty good idea. Of course, if you think our podcast/website can amplify your voice in some way please feel free to reach out.

As I've mentioned before, SDN is an invaluable forum, please keep up the strong work!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Goodman rubbed me the wrong way posting an uninformed rant once about radiation in CNS lymphoma which he was the forced to delete. The dude might have the good hair and likes Nirvana but to me he gave himself away as another anti radiation heme onc. Maybe i should forget it i guess.

Reactions: 2 users
Goodman rubbed me the wrong way posting an uninformed rant once about radiation in CNS lymphoma which he was the forced to delete. The dude might have the good hair and likes Nirvana but to me he gave himself away as another anti radiation heme onc. Maybe i should forget it i guess.
Good hair and likes Nirvana… sounds like the perfect “influencer” to me!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have some really good friends who are radiation hating heme-oncs. Thats just par for the course.

Reactions: 1 users

You are not the first person that has made this comment to me!

If you listened anyway, I appreciate it! If you didn't, thats okay too, but I still think CSO is worth supporting.

This happens to me - people agree with 95% of what I say, but disagree with 5% and then put me in a box based on that 5%.

It's too bad.

Reactions: 5 users
This happens to me - people agree with 95% of what I say, but disagree with 5% and then put me in a box based on that 5%.

It's too bad.
Its not that. It wasnt like a difference of an informed opinion which i would have no issue with. It was an uninformed statement about how radiation to the brain ( we talking 23.4 wbrt with a boost) basically renders people into vegetables. Never mind that highly infiltrative destructive process in their brain parenchyma into their thalamus. For a guy who supposedly wants rad oncs to get involved in his “common sense” initiative, he definitely didn’t show much of it himself. I understand he may regret it and he deleted it but it did do damage to his brand in my view. I didn’t get the sense he truly understood why he was wrong. It was a half ass “apology”. Remember in the end people remember the bad more!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Its not that. It wasnt like a difference of an informed opinion which i would have no issue with. It was an uninformed statement about how radiation to the brain ( we talking 23.4 wbrt with a boost) basically renders people into vegetables. Never mind that highly infiltrative destructive process in their brain parenchyma into their thalamus. For a guy who supposedly wants rad oncs to get involved in his “common sense” initiative, he definitely didn’t show much of it himself. I understand he may regret it and he deleted it but it did do damage to his brand in my view. I didn’t get the sense he truly understood why he was wrong. It was a half ass “apology”. Remember in the end people remember the bad more!
I hear you.

During our show and off-air, he at least to our face mentioned how high value RT (and surgery) is compared to their therapies. He has also tweeted this.

I give him a pass on the trees, if he is clear on the forest.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree i listend to some of it and even though i hate entrenched boards that grift us all like ABIM/ABR, goodman did come off as kind of a douche. This can easily be turned against you when you advocate for change and can end up hurting your cause. He would be more effective if he didn't seem so frustrated and dismissive. This is why it is very important to pick the right “leaders”.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users