Commonly agreed Ranking List of US Med Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score
Is there any list of rankings for US Medical Schools that is relatively more commonly agreed on? Could be one you guys have made or one that exists online.

I am currently going by US News Rankings but i keep getting confused by all the other rankings out there (I am trying not to filter the list based specifically on top research schools or top primary care schools). If there's any general list (which might also indicate tier) I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

You're making a ton of new threads...

There's a calculated "reputation" list somewhere on this forum, based on residency program directors. OSU-COM ranks above 20 or so MD schools. But really, who cares? Med school isn't like law school T14 nonsense.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're making a ton of new threads...

There's a calculated "reputation" list somewhere on this forum, based on residency program directors. OSU-COM ranks above 20 or so MD schools. But really, who cares? Med school isn't like law school T14 nonsense.

I just wanted to know so i have a better idea of what "high" "top" "mid" tier schools are when people reference them regarding making school lists. I would be happy to be accepted to any medical school.

I just wanted to know so i have a better idea of what "high" "top" "mid" tier schools are when people reference them regarding making school lists. I would be happy to be accepted to any medical school.

Reactions: 5 users
inb4 heated but ultimately pointless debate about whether NYU is a "real" T5

Reactions: 4 users
The USWNR research list is probably the most commonly used/referred to when someone says T20 or T50. But not all schools participate, so I kind of prefer the PD rankings (rankings by residency director score) that you can find on reddit.

In theory, since there are ~150 MD programs, “top” tier could include the USWNR T50, mid-tier 51-100 (or you could say 93 because of their weird cut off), and all others would be low-tier. Although, like I said there are some solid schools who don’t participate like: Tulane, Creighton, MCW, USUHS, Penn St, Mich St, etc, but I guess you can just toss all those in the “mid” category or use the pd rankings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is there any list of rankings for US Medical Schools that is relatively more commonly agreed on? Could be one you guys have made or one that exists online.

I am currently going by US News Rankings but i keep getting confused by all the other rankings out there (I am trying not to filter the list based specifically on top research schools or top primary care schools). If there's any general list (which might also indicate tier) I would really appreciate it!
None.

Ask any ten people about med school rankings and you'll get 11 answers.

USNWR rankings are, to use the scientific term, bogus.
I hate the term tier and prefer using "class", as in the US Navy battleships and cruisers. Hence my common usage of Stanford/Harvard class vs Albany/Drexel or Einstein/Emory classes. While the USS New Jersey was clearly a superior ship to the 1944 Tennessee, it's a waste of time to argue the merits of each of the four Iowa class ships.

You need to go by the stats in MSAR to find schools that match yours.

Reactions: 4 users
There isn’t a granular rank list. You could argue that are general categories like nationally recognized ‘top tier’ schools (Harvard, UCSF, Hopkins) that are research powerhouses but a US MD is a US MD.

Reactions: 1 users