The "real" med school rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Over!!!

Reaction score
So, obviously mission fit is important. And net cost of attendance after merit and/or financial aid is huge. And yes, some schools are better for this and for that, etc.

What I'm interested in is an all other things being equal discussion--I know, a complete fiction.

But there is so much talk on here about Top 3, Top 5, Top 10, Top 20, Top 25, etc. I am assuming this is based mostly on US News rankings.

I'm wondering what most of us think are the most important factors in ranking medical schools (I know, they are of dubious value to begin with).

It seems to me that the reputation rank is the truest expression of the true rank of medical schools--what other med schools and residency directors feel about a particular school. And perhaps it is best to view these in bands.

For example, using 2023 and 2024 USNWR data, the top 20 or so based on reputation might be something like this:

Hopkins, Harvard (Maybe UCSF too)

UCSF, Stanford, Penn

Michigan, Wash U, Duke, Columbia

UCLA, Vanderbilt, Washington

Pitt, Northwestern, Yale, Mayo, Cornell

NYU, Chicago, Emory, UNC

Now obviously these bands are fairly arbitrary, and one could argue they should be narrower or broader.

This of course also assumes US News is correctly polling Med School peers and Residency Directors.

And it also leads to strange anomalies. For example, it seems Michigan and Chicago are often compared as very close peer schools here, and in where should I go discussions, if anything Chicago seems to have the slight edge. But if you look at the reputation ranks, Michigan seems to have the edge.

So just wondering people thoughts on the "true" rankings of med schools. Not interested in discussing the value of such rankings.

And please, let's not let this get out of control. This is an honest question. Not looking for fights or discussions about how none of this matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Opinions will vary. My guess is that something like 35 schools would lay claim to being in the "real" top 20. People generally have a sense of what schools are in each quartile but that's about it. And basing one's decision on whether a particular school is listed as 15th or 27th is generally not a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.