Medical Communication with Admissions Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to receive an II at my top choice school a few months ago but was unfortunately waitlisted. A couple of weeks after being waitlisted, I just happened to bump into the director of admissions on the street. The director actually initiated a small talk conversation with me, and I just happened to recognize them from the interview day. After telling them I was a current applicant, the director said they remembered my name and actually was the one to screen my application for the II. They said to stay in contact and gave me their business card.

I've sent a few update letters and letters of interest (this is one of the needy schools that welcomes them), but I haven't heard any response. I assume this is because the director is very busy, but I'm beginning to wonder if they were just being nice by saying they remembered my name and giving me their card. My plan is to call the director and just briefly reiterate my interest in attending the school since they said to keep in contact (I wouldn't be doing this if they hadn't specifically told me to keep in contact and give me a card with their direct number).

I'm just wondering if those who have AdCom experience could share whether they think the director was really trying to help me out and if giving them a call would be worth it, or if it's more likely they were just being nice and probably don't remember me and/or won't really give my application any extra consideration. I was very excited after this interaction because it seemed like the director was genuinely interested in helping me out, and it felt almost like a got a second shot at an interview since we got to know each other a bit through small talk before realizing who we were talking to. However, the lack of response to my emails has me feeling a little disheartened.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Suggest ... let it go ... but it's up to you.

Logical reasoning ... after being waitlisted, if you had not coincidentally bumped into the admissions director on the street, you would not have received their business card, and they would not have engaged in small talk with you.

You're waitlisted, they already know you're interested in their school.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I don't think there's anything that cold-calling them is going to do to help you. If they were inclined to help you, they would have based on your prior emails.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think calling would be more detrimental than helpful in this case. Like you suggest, they're busy. And as was stated above, they know you're interested by your application, waitlist, and other follow-ups already.

Status
Not open for further replies.