Community College AFTER admission into a 4 year university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abowen20

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a bit of a unique situation. I'm a junior in college and I plan to apply to med school this July. However, I decided on medicine a bit late in my academic career and now I'm trying to squeeze all my classes in before I take the MCAT in June. This spring semester, my advisor recommended that I take Orgo I, Physics II, and Genetics, and that I take Biochemistry and Orgo II over the summer. The problem is that I can't get all 3 classes plus to fit in with my schedule at my university, but I just found out that the local CC offers Orgo I late in the evenings which would fit perfectly. I know community colleges have a reputation to be "easier" and of less substance than universities, but if I take 2 other science classes at the university, will this be a little more forgivable? Would it be better for me to defer Genetics until the fall and only take Orgo and Physics and my university this semester? I'm also a bit worried because I took Chem I as a transient student at a CC when I went home for the summer last year. I realize I may have to take a gap year anyways since I started so late, but this is my last push to get admission for Fall 2016. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be in a hurry. Get your courses done correctly, which means taking your time so that you do well in them. Thus, maybe spread the courses out if you need to, and take them at your university, over a longer period of time.
Many schools DO take CC credit; you'd have to consult the MSAR for that.

Try to take as few pre-reqs at a CC as possible. It will not kill you, but better safe than sorry. Additionally, every school will have its own preferences (again, consult the MSAR).

Take a gap year. It'll do wonders for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I have a bit of a unique situation. I'm a junior in college and I plan to apply to med school this July. However, I decided on medicine a bit late in my academic career and now I'm trying to squeeze all my classes in before I take the MCAT in June. This spring semester, my advisor recommended that I take Orgo I, Physics II, and Genetics, and that I take Biochemistry and Orgo II over the summer. The problem is that I can't get all 3 classes plus to fit in with my schedule at my university, but I just found out that the local CC offers Orgo I late in the evenings which would fit perfectly. I know community colleges have a reputation to be "easier" and of less substance than universities, but if I take 2 other science classes at the university, will this be a little more forgivable? Would it be better for me to defer Genetics until the fall and only take Orgo and Physics and my university this semester? I'm also a bit worried because I took Chem I as a transient student at a CC when I went home for the summer last year. I realize I may have to take a gap year anyways since I started so late, but this is my last push to get admission for Fall 2016. Thanks! :)
No ADCOM will turn someone down for one class if the school accepts CC grades. I think you'll be fine.

Hello,

Like others say, cramming all this isn't a good idea. Another year would prob be smart. The application process alone is insane as it is let alone with all the classes and june mcat.

I took ALL my pre-req's (including Orgo's and Calc and Phys everything) at a CC after going to a 4 year and have received 10+ MD interviews.