Which classes should I take at a community college vs. at a 4-year college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lita0632

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I applied to 4-year universities they advised that I should 1st complete 1 or 2 semesters at a different school and then transfer because I haven't been in school in a long time. So I'm taking my 1st 1 or 2 semesters at a community college.

I was worried it would be looked down on by medical schools if I did a semester or 2 at a community college but was told on here that it's not looked down on if I don't take the "harder" classes at a community college.

What is considered the "harder" classes?
Should I skip the biology, chemistry, and math classes at the community college altogether? Or are the basic level of those classes ok? (Like General Biology 1, General Chemistry 1, Math in the 1st semester...and then General Biology 2, General Chemistry 2, Math in the 2nd semester if I also do a 2nd semester at a c.c.)

I haven't been in school in a while so I'm also scared if I only take classes that aren't the core classes of a Biology degree (like History, Philosophy, Government, etc.) that when I transfer to 4-year schools it won't show that I'm prepared for a Biology degree and not accept me.

Members don't see this ad.

I think starting general chemistry and general biology and your math pre-reqs at a CC is a great start.

Then post-transfer, you have OChem and potentially biochem, and if you're doing a biology degree all your upper level biology classes.

Taking math would also have you prepared, ideally, for taking physics post-transfer.

One general recommendation I have is to not "split" a series of courses between CC and a 4-year. In other words, don't start Gen Chem at a CC then finish it at another school. Departments and schools are different enough that you can get caught between with respect to content and it can be a jarring and frustrating experience.