community college classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woohoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In high school, I took some courses at a community college (composition, sociology, and 2 business courses). My undergrad had no problem giving me credit for them but now I'm wondering what Medical School policy is regarding this. I'm using the Comp class to fulfill the college's English requirement, and my advisor didn't answer when I asked if CC classes would be looked at differently than regular classes. does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it. You'll be fine. Look in the archives of the SDN where we've carried on long conversations about CC work and its credibility. You can also just do an internal search of SDN for CC's. I know plenty of people in med school who did most (if not damn near all) of their science pre-reqs at a CC. Like I said...don't sweat it.

I did my whole first two years of undergrad at a CC while in high school. Believe me, it's a non-issue, particularly if you did well in future classes and on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just like none's post, I did my first two years at a CC. Even the "hardcore" sciences and I got in. Just don't let your grades slip when you get to the Univ and they won't even think about it twice.

I agree with the above posters, however make sure you do well on the MCAT. You might want to do a search on this topic because there is a lot of info in the archives of SDN, where this has been discussed extensively.

None et al,

you spoke about doing your first two years of CC while in high school. I did too! However, my GPA then was 3.17.. :( Ever since coming to University, I have had a 3.7-3.8 in upper level, hardcore sciences. The 3.17 is due to 2 C's in gen chem, and 3 C's in math. Overall, my GPA will be 3.4-3.5 when all is said and done. I got a 26 this time on the MCAT (9 9 8), and will take it again. I have all the other stuff in line. I am 18. I graduate next semester. Chances?

owcc16

I'm sorry. Am I understanding you correctly? You're 18? Anyways...although the C's are not good, your ~3.2 GPA is not lethal, especially since you've improved dramatically. Your MCAT isn't all that bad either. You're possibly doing the right thing by retaking it. Shoot for 30+. It sounds like you'd be a good candidate for osteopathic schools as well. Apply to them when you're ready. Good luck.

Originally posted by Atlas:
•I'm sorry. Am I understanding you correctly? You're 18? Anyways...although the C's are not good, your ~3.2 GPA is not lethal, especially since you've improved dramatically. Your MCAT isn't all that bad either. You're possibly doing the right thing by retaking it. Shoot for 30+. It sounds like you'd be a good candidate for osteopathic schools as well. Apply to them when you're ready. Good luck.•

Atlas,

yep, 18. Anyway, I was hoping I had a chance at allopathic. I suppose a Masters degree may be neccessary/helpful for me to attain this goal?

:confused:

owcc16

Originally posted by owcc16:
•yep, 18.•

While every person is unique, and your chances are all your own, I had a classmate who applied last year, at 19 or 20 who didn't get in despite super (39) MCATs and a good GPA. The one reason that kept coming up for his rejections: Age.

Please don't take this personally in any way, I'm just relaying what I've seen myself. I do think you are probably more mature than this guy, though, especially if you're considering the Masters route already.

Good luck. :)

Originally posted by Jamier2:
•While every person is unique, and your chances are all your own, I had a classmate who applied last year, at 19 or 20 who didn't get in despite super (39) MCATs and a good GPA. The one reason that kept coming up for his rejections: Age.

Please don't take this personally in any way, I'm just relaying what I've seen myself. I do think you are probably more mature than this guy, though, especially if you're considering the Masters route already.

Good luck. :)

Hmm...quite a common redflag, I know. However, many also see my age as a huge advantage. I (and many others) would say that I am 18 only in number. So....we'll see how it goes. Right now, I'm primarily looking at my chances from a pure academic standpoint. I hope the interview will settle other qualms.. :)

owcc16

Well,

You seem like a bright, young whippersnapper! The question about your age can be looked at from a couple perspectives. At first, I had a hard time digesting your age, but I got over it. I figured...ok, we have a Doogie Howser on our hands. But, no really, it's great that you have a head start on many of us. Have you applied to the 6 year BS/MD programs (ie UMKC)? I know that many schools favor older, non-traditional applicants, so watch out for them when you're applying. Also, maybe you should stay away from DO schools since you're not interested in them. That's always a common curtesy because there are always more applicants than seats that REALLY want to be DOs. Plus, they tend to favor older, non-trads. Listen, I'm not too sure getting a graduate degree will help you all that much. Your grades are fine. Your MCAT is ok...I'm sure you'll improve it. How are you extra-currics? Please don't brag...I'm sure they're stellar too. I guess what I'm saying is, wait on the masters degree. If you must, apply simulataneously just in case med school doesn't work out. My 2 cents. :)

•Well,

You seem like a bright, young whippersnapper! The question about your age can be looked at from a couple perspectives. At first, I had a hard time digesting your age, but I got over it. I figured...ok, we have a Doogie Howser on our hands. But, no really, it's great that you have a head start on many of us. Have you applied to the 6 year BS/MD programs (ie UMKC)? I know that many schools favor older, non-traditional applicants, so watch out for them when you're applying. Also, maybe you should stay away from DO schools since you're not interested in them. That's always a common curtesy because there are always more applicants than seats that REALLY want to be DOs. Plus, they tend to favor older, non-trads. Listen, I'm not too sure getting a graduate degree will help you all that much. Your grades are fine. Your MCAT is ok...I'm sure you'll improve it. How are you extra-currics? Please don't brag...I'm sure they're stellar too. I guess what I'm saying is, wait on the masters degree. If you must, apply simulataneously just in case med school doesn't work out. My 2 cents. :)

Thanks Atlas....

I'll just keep my nose to the grindstone, keep working hard, and we'll see what happens. Applying to a 6 yr BS/MD wouldn't do any good, seeing as I will have my BS next semester. I'm applying summer 2002 for med school, and won't apply for grad school unless I don't get in the first time. Perhaps I'll wait until after two tries. Extra-currics are more than adequate.. :) Thanks! God Bless.

owcc16

At least someone in here who makes me feel better about my age! I AM NOT AS YOUNG AS I THOUGHT I WAS!! My wife tells me that. :D Whenever the kid comes, my hair goes!

I kinda figured that BS/MD schools would be pointless after I made that post. I then realized that you would have had your BS by then. Silly me. My theory is this...why apply to grad school when med school is what you really want?! Go to grad school only if past academic endeavors are holding you back and you need solid proof that you can handle the work. Otherwise, don't go. I mean, if you go to grad school, you'll have a nice piece of paper with your name on it that hangs on the wall and looks really cool, but what does it do for you once you're a doctor? nothing. When you're a doctor, most people will never know you earned a masters degree in say..particle physics unless you brag to them about it, which is not highly recommended from a clinician standpoint. Like I said, your GPA is not THAT BAD to the point where you won't get in. I've heard of people with BOTH GPA's around 3.0 and some with less. With that said, they ultimately had high MCAT scores and amazingly...no freakishly cool extra-curricular activities like "being a lion tamer for the Ringling Bros. circus". It's all about how you play your cards. You play them right...you win. A GPA of ~3.2 says that you earned it to improve, not because you're a slacker.

•I kinda figured that BS/MD schools would be pointless after I made that post. I then realized that you would have had your BS by then. Silly me. My theory is this...why apply to grad school when med school is what you really want?! Go to grad school only if past academic endeavors are holding you back and you need solid proof that you can handle the work. Otherwise, don't go. I mean, if you go to grad school, you'll have a nice piece of paper with your name on it that hangs on the wall and looks really cool, but what does it do for you once you're a doctor? nothing. When you're a doctor, most people will never know you earned a masters degree in say..particle physics unless you brag to them about it, which is not highly recommended from a clinician standpoint. Like I said, your GPA is not THAT BAD to the point where you won't get in. I've heard of people with BOTH GPA's around 3.0 and some with less. With that said, they ultimately had high MCAT scores and amazingly...no freakishly cool extra-curricular activities like "being a lion tamer for the Ringling Bros. circus". It's all about how you play your cards. You play them right...you win. A GPA of ~3.2 says that you earned it to improve, not because you're a slacker.•

Thanks man..btw, my GPA combined will be 3.4-3.5. (combined with bad comm college grades and good university grades).

owcc16

With GPA's like that, what are you worried about? Med schools love to see improvement. Granted, they don't COMBINE your undergrad and graduate GPAs. They look at them separately. I think you have a good shot. Best of luck

•With GPA's like that, what are you worried about? Med schools love to see improvement. Granted, they don't COMBINE your undergrad and graduate GPAs. They look at them separately. I think you have a good shot. Best of luck•

atlas, atlas, atlas..

you are misunderstanding me.

My GPA @ the community college (first two years) (including gen chem with 2 c's) was a 3.17. My last two years at the University (hard core upper division scieneces) is a 3.7-3.8. Combined, my undergrad will be 3.4-3.5ish.

owcc16

I must have confused you with someone else I was talking to about graduate work. My bad. No..I gotcha alright. Like I said...what are you worried about? Your grades are fine and show improvement.

•I must have confused you with someone else I was talking to about graduate work. My bad. No..I gotcha alright. Like I said...what are you worried about? Your grades are fine and show improvement.•

Atlas,

thx for the encouragement. I dunno...I guess I'm a little too critical of myself. Perhaps a better MCAT and my already great extracurrics will help *bump* me up. :)

owcc16