Community College courses and PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulu92

Lulu92
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

So, my question is fairly simple.

Will I hurt my chances of getting into PT schools by taking Chem 1 and 2 at a community college? I plan on taking the rest of my sciences at my university, but in all honesty, chem is not my strong point. I'll probably be able to pull a B/B- at my university, but I really can't be sure. If I take it at a community college near my house, the classes will be smaller and could potentially help me do better in my weak subject. And again, to be honest, it's a little bit easier at the community college, from what I've heard at least.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks so much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

On PTCAS if you go to program requirements, you can click on any school and view their requirements on prereqs. Some schools specifically require that you do not take some prereqs at a CC (usually just A&P). Though I do not know at all how strict they are on this.

I say, why not?
It's cheaper and sometimes easier. Just make sure the schools you are applying to, allow them. As far as I know, MOST schools dont mind that those courses are taken at a community college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of my classmates took classes at the CC. Just make sure to check with the programs you're interested in. I know a few who only accept university courses.

Of the 5 schools I applied to, only one required that one class (Advanced Microbiology) be taken at a 4-yr university. Check the requirements of the schools you want to apply to, but I'd be willing to bet that Chem 1 & 2 can be taken at a CC.

I say, why not?
It's cheaper and sometimes easier. Just make sure the schools you are applying to, allow them. As far as I know, MOST schools dont mind that those courses are taken at a community college.

Maybe I'm old school, being 24 and all, but Chemistry 1 and 2 aren't really that difficult at the University level. I know you say Chems not your subject but saying you're predestined to get a B or B- might be underestimating your abilities. PT school is really rigorous so I think it helps to push and challenge yourself during undergrad.

I'm probably just weird though haha

Update: Only one of the schools I'm applying to had A&P listed as a class that must be taken at a 4-year school. I just called them up, and they said they didn't see any problem with taking prereqs at a CC.
I say go for it.

From what I have heard it's frowned upon. You are allowed to take classes at community college but they are not held in as high regard as classes taken at a University. My advisor told me that a B at a University looks better than an A at a CC. So from a competitive stand point, I would go with a University class that is actually taught by a Ph.D.

Thanks for all of your feedback :)

Well, I just realized if I take chem 1 at the CC next semester and chem 2 the following semester, I can graduate on time. Otherwise, I'd graduate a semester late.

But that would mean I would have to take a Bio class along with a Chem....and all of my classes would total up to 20 hours. Without chem I'll be taking 16. But I am only allowed to take 19 hours a semester, so if I wanted to take chem at my university, I would have to push a different class back a semester to accommodate.

I can't decide. :confused:

I took 21 hours for 2 semesters so that I could graduate on time. It was definitely a lot of work and the first semester I was not prepared for the load but it was a learning experience and I think will help me out when I am required to take on that courseload for PT school. I had to talk with my advisor and get permission to take that many hours but with a 3.5 GPA it wasn't to much of a problem. Hope this helps and best of luck!

It may at one extreme, but I took all of the pre-req classes for my PT school at the local CC due to the fact it was all that I could afford. I figured if I crushed the classes anyway, it would show appropriate academic success regardless of setting.
It is just my opinion, but PT schools look at your whole application and body of achievements - if you were overall strong enough in other areas, I don't think they would pass you over for simply having taken classes at a CC vs. a university. I took that gamble and it paid off for me.
Plus, I enjoyed the small class sizes (chem at CC had 24 students vs. 200+ at university - and no TA's for office hours...)

It may at one extreme, but I took all of the pre-req classes for my PT school at the local CC due to the fact it was all that I could afford. I figured if I crushed the classes anyway, it would show appropriate academic success regardless of setting.
It is just my opinion, but PT schools look at your whole application and body of achievements - if you were overall strong enough in other areas, I don't think they would pass you over for simply having taken classes at a CC vs. a university. I took that gamble and it paid off for me.
Plus, I enjoyed the small class sizes (chem at CC had 24 students vs. 200+ at university - and no TA's for office hours...)

I'm glad you decided to share this. I'm also taking the entirety of my prerequisites at a community college and I sincerely believe that I am not being put out of the running for the better programs that I'm looking at. Take this as an example: even after contacting the Mayo Clinic's program (and speaking directly to the director), I was assured that the school's possession of accredidation is the most important thing to ensure. Assuming that basic qualification is met, 4-yr vs. CC was not a deal-breaker. Even UNC specifies explicitly in its FAQs that it does not discriminate against applicants with classes (and presumably a majority of classes at that) taken at a CC.

My thought on the matter is that if you have proven yourself to be a quality applicant (the GRE and essays might give them a good indication of your potential), they'll at least be curious enough to pull you in for an interview. From there it's all up to you :cool:

This is the story I tell myself at least. Otherwise busting my tail taking 18 credits every semester would seem a bit like a waste. :rolleyes:

After changing careers, I returned to school and completed just about all of my prereq's at a CC. It worked out for me.

After changing careers, I returned to school and completed just about all of my prereq's at a CC. It worked out for me.

Same here. Not one school I'm applying to frowns upon CC courses. Also, the college I'm taking them at in NY follows a state curriculum, so whether I'm taking these at a CC for $1700/semester or at a NY state school for $7000/semester, I'm pretty much getting the same education. As long as your programs accept the credits, I say go for it and save your money where you can.

I'm taken all my chemistry, physics, and AP classes (and one upper level psychology) courses at my local CC. Has it hurt me?

Interviews: Shenandoah, Delaware, Miami, Saint Augustine, Tennessee

Clearly not.

Kevin