Community College or Post-Bac? $ Plays a major factor here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Went to a known 4 year school for undergrad, have a Masters, and I'm a nontrad URM female.

Will potential med schools look down on me if I go the cheap route for my science pre-reqs?

I found some post bac programs for disadvantaged students that don't cost much (if anything) like UCLA Re-Application Program but they're mostly for re-applicants.

Not trying to be cheap, but I really can't fund or justify taking a formal or informal post-bac at a 4 year college...plus what if I ace the MCAT and get stellar science grades at a community college? (and then get into a pre-med post bac like the one mentioned to take higher level science courses) + volunteer work + EMT-B work?

Are med schools really gonna trip about it? I mean, what do I say, if interviewed, "My bank account was not as big as my dreams?"

Or would I just not be competitive at all to the "good" med schools?

Undergrad GPA: 3.34
Master's GPA: 3.45
 
I wouldn't do the community college route (I'm sorry i totally hear where you are coming from). You won't look as competitive as other applications that usually go to decent 4 year Universities. Better to pay for the postbacc and get into medical school for sure (if you get a good MCAT score and all other requirements are in order) than to waste money on the community college course and have a harder applicant process.
 
I know this because I went to community college my first 2 years of UG and even after eventually getting my masters from a good school I was still questioned about it in interviews
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for replying! I just found out today I got into Loyola's Post-Bac program here in Chicago! I'm gonna defer for a year and take a year of bio and pre-calc and calculus I at community college, then take one class at a time + volunteering + EMT-B work...and possibly even do an online MSW at USC at the same time before I apply to med school, so keep your fingers crossed I get accepted to that too!!
 
Listen I wouldn't take science prereqs at a community college. I took all my general education at a cc(don't know if this will come up in my interview, if I get one). I spent 3 semesters at cc completely these courses and then I transferred my credits to a university. I was so scared to take the science prereqs at cc route. Though I must say, it may take you longer because there is always a class you have to take before the next so you might want to fit summer sessions in there.
 
Last edited:
I took some general education at a CC, all premed courses at university, thus it NEVER came up during my interviews.

I would, like others already have, highly suggest limiting premed prereqs to the university level.