community college or UMass Boston??

Started by jintonic5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jintonic5

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'm planning on taking extra undergrad science courses in the spring while studying for the mcat. should i attend a local community college, or UMass Boston? i'm from a boston suburb, commuting is not an issue.

pros to a CC: CHEAP. half the price of UMass, about 20 min drive closer to home than UMB.
pros to UMass: better, probably more challenging school, better selection of courses.

my grades are horrendous right now, so i want to boost them with the extra coursework before i apply to SMP's. what do you guys think? i'm leaning towards UMB, but some imput would be appreciated.

thanks!
jin the tonic
 
If your grades are horrendous, then you really MUST take them at UMB, if not someplace even better. You want to prove that you can hack challenging coursework, and classes at a CC simply aren't going to do that. No offense to any CC people out there--I'm sure that many CC courses are fine, but in the academic world, 2 year schools just aren't considered as rigorous as 4-years.

You need to go to the best school you can go to, and then rock. Good luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UMB. CC don't cut it.
There were a few people in my orgo class that took Gen chem in CC and they didn't know what the heck my professor was lecturing about.
 
Yeah, honestly, dont take the pre-reqs at a CC. I took bio I, chem I and physics I and I decided to retake them all at a 4 year institution. Perhaps adcoms may not love this, but I did not learn a thing at CC. Granted, this all depends on schools. However, the material covered at a 4 year institution is superior than any CC since CC do not gear the course on a pre med level. They simply teach you what you need to know and then move on.....as far as chemistry at a CC. General chemistry at a CC is not the same as inorganic chemistry, which I think is by far better to learn in the beginning so that you may get a good foundation of chemistry. I learned the bare minimum at the CC chemistry I class, now that I am at a 4 year university and in inorganic/general chem I am learning things that we never even touched upon in the CC chem class.

I highly recommend you do not take classes at a CC, for your own educational sake as well as medical school application.