Community college (please help!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSW2DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started a thread on this topic a while back, but I didn't get much of a response.

I was wondering if taking prereqs at a reputible community college would be much of a disadvantage when applying to med school? I have a grad degree in a non-science field, and my grades are excellent. Would community college credits really be that much of a disadvantage?

The reason I'd prefer to attend a local CC is because tuition is cheaper and classes are offered at night an on Saturdays. I work full-time, so this would be great!

I'd really like to hear from current med students on this topic. DId any of you take your prereqs at CC?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Taking prereqs at a CC is probably better than taking your prereqs pass/fail at a university, but the question is how much more...

Just imagine that you'll be competing fiecely with a zillion other students who did there work at "harder" places than a CC. So if you make similar grades as other competative students, you're still at a disadvantage, and God forbid you make a B in one of the prereqs at a CC...

Of course there are exceptions.

And, finally, I could be completely wrong about all this. That's just what I'd think if I were on the Admissions Committees.

Ask ad coms!
DO Boy

The trick is getting an interview. If you can get in a position where you can explain your reasons for going to a CC, then I don't see a disadvantage to it. If you choose to talk about it, you could weave it into your personal statement somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed 52 postbacc science credits at a community college (with some of the most dedicated full-time PhD faculty I have ever had) with a 4.0 GPA. I could have attended a nearby four year state school but the education would have been the same and the cost would have been four times higher. If your CC system has a good rep I wouldn't hesitate to go.

The results: Scored 31P on the MCATs, got five invites, went to four, got four acceptances.
(FYI--I have an UG degree in EE and a master's in public policy.)

I was never asked about the CC in any interviews.

Best of luck.

I went to a crappy CC and did two terms of Physics, two terms of Gen Chem getting two B's and two A's respectively. I came to a four year school got A's in both 3rd terms and did Bio and O-Chem here. I got five invites, three of which I attended and those three culminated in acceptances

to MSW2DO,
I was is in a similar situation. I took PHysics 1 and 2 from a community college VIA CORRESPONDENCE! I was accepted at the only school I applied to, and they did not mention it.

That said, my BS degree 5 years ago was from a large university with all the other prereqs.

1. how many credits do you need.
2. How bad does the name of your CC sound? I went to Ivy Tech State College of Indiana for the physics, which actually doesn't sound like a CC.
3. Look into correspondence. there are some from major universities: U of Nebraska offers some! No difference is shown on your transcript.

Last word: Kick butt on the MCAT and they will know you are capable.

U of Minnesota also offers a lot thru correspondence. I'm taking Physics 1 right now from there. There is a quality, comprehensive website that lists correspondence, and distance learning courses. Unfortunately I cannot think of it off hand. I know that I used "distance learning" for the keywords of the search. If I find the sight I'll get back to you with it's address. Good luck.

LarryJ,

The community college I am considering is City College of San Francisco. From what I've gathered, it has a relatively good reputation. I attended the University of Georgia for both undergrad and grad school. I took 1 semester of both chem and physics at UGA and got A'a in both. I also took one year of bio and received an A. SO I am still lacking 1 semester each of chem and physics and 2 semesters of o. chem.

It has been quite some time since I took physics and chem, and I doubt I'll be able to just jump right into the 2nd half of each course. Would it look bad to take those courses over again?

After reading everyone's responses, I am definitely leaning towards the CC. If it really won't make that much of a difference, then it would be silly to pay 3 times the tuition just to say I took the prereqs at a university.

Thanks everyone!

I took the absolute max. credits at CC that I could transfer to my local 4 year college which was 66 -- the equivalent to my freshman and sophomore years. My reasons were quite similar, i.e. cost and scheduling. I was not asked about the CC classes in interviewing. Personally I found that the classes I took at CC were far more challenging than those at the 4 year university where I finished my degree. Good luck to you.

Renee

Don't bother retaking the chem and physics. I had a long time between the courses, and it really took no time before I recalled the content. Besides, you've already got A's. It's kinda like riding a bike I guess, you just don't forget. Good luck with whatever, you decide.

I took ALL of my prereq's at a technical community college (one of those pre-med associates degrees) and just got into at least two allopathic schools (BU and Albany). I was asked to explain in most interviews and in my case the reason was that I graduated near the very bottom of my high school class and didn't have the option of going anywhere else basically!! They all seemed cool with this and I think I levelled the playing field a bit with my 35S on the MCAT...so it can be done though I had your same fears and intimidation up until 2 weeks ago!!
smile.gif

Ryan

BUSM '04