Community College Route to 4-Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StoneBoy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here trying going to community college and then transferring 2 years later into a 4-year school? I'm currently a high school senior about to graduate soon, and I got accepted into UCR, UCI, and UCSB. However, with the cost of college and then the cost of medical school going up so high, I was thinking about going into community college and then transferring. Doesn't seem to be any cons to it. Any thoughts?:D

Members don't see this ad.

I did it. It may waste time, it took me 5 years total instead of 4 bc of the class limitations at a cc.

Did anyone here trying going to community college and then transferring 2 years later into a 4-year school? I'm currently a high school senior about to graduate soon, and I got accepted into UCR, UCI, and UCSB. However, with the cost of college and then the cost of medical school going up so high, I was thinking about going into community college and then transferring. Doesn't seem to be any cons to it. Any thoughts?:D

I did and worked well for me. California CC are generally top notch, and you can transfer to great schools from there. When applying to transfer, I was offered scholarships to almost every UC school and even got into Cornell, but attended elsewhere for family reasons.

I didn't complete all of the pre-med courses at the CC (only Physics I,II, Gen Chem I, O-Chem I, and Bio I). I also took a LOT of upper division science courses at the 4-year (to show I could handle the course load).
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing cc for my first year, not just because it is cheaper, but my state school (the one closest to me) has this stupid "Freshman Inquiry" class that lasts a whole year. Anyway, I'm still enrolled at the state school (went there for a term). I have no idea how this will effect acceptance into med school, but I hope it won't be too bad, I mean I will only be at the cc for two or three more terms. Who knows!

It doesnt hurt your admissions to medical school. It almost seems benificial because you can take some of your harder pre-reqs at an easier school like a community college and keep your gpa up.

The only problem is if you transfer and your grades start to drop. You cant go from a 4.0-3.9 from a community college down to a 3.3-3.5 after you transfer. They know community college is easier, but if you can keep your grades up after you transfer, you basically show them that you have what it takes.

Look for community colleges that have relationships with nearby colleges. The cc that I attended had a 2 + 2 program that outlined classes that would transfer to local colleges and still allow you to graduate in 4 years. CC are cheaper, and some are easier. Many also allow more schedule flexibility since they also cater to working parents.

I attended cc and went to a university at the same time simply because it fit my schedule. I did have to get permission from my university to do it.

I went to a community college then transferred to a UC. I did it because of the money. It is not a bad thing, but looking back I do regret not going straight to a UC.

The money argument is not worth it for 3 reasons:

1. If you qualify for financial aid, then you will get more to go to a UC.
2. It can be difficult to graduate in four years. Because once you transfer most schools have their own GE requirements that you have to take before graduating. Also, not all community college classes transfer correctly when going from a semester to quarter system. You end up paying for and taking extra classes.
3. The money is insignificant when you look at the experiences you might miss out on. Living in the dorms gives you the opportunity to meet people, make friends, live the "college experience," etc. Building a support system early on is invaluable. Transfer students often feel out of place and complain that it is difficult meeting people at the large UC's.

Getting into a UC is not easy... you have an opportunity... I say take it.

I was accepted into a UC out of high school but went to a JC first for financial reasons. If you have the money to go to a UC straight away, do it. If you don't, I wouldn't sweat the JC route.

kurlyque- I actually disagree with a few of your points here.
1. If you qualify for financial aid, then you will get more to go to a UC.
Lots of folks grow up somewhere between butt poor and comfortable. Between the two it's very hard to get scholarships/grants.
2. It can be difficult to graduate in four years. Because once you transfer most schools have their own GE requirements that you have to take before graduating.
Not sure if you're from California, but although the UC's each have their own GE requirements, all of them also agree to a single set of requirements that JC students can meet. If you ask at the registrar of a California JC, you can get a sheet that has a single list of GE requirements. If you take classes at your JC to meet those, you have satisfied the GE requirements for all UC's.
Also, not all community college classes transfer correctly when going from a semester to quarter system. You end up paying for and taking extra classes.
Again, if you follow the recommendations, you won't have a problem. It's pretty explicit which classes satisfy which prereqs. Also, not all JCs are semester-based and not all UCs are quarter based. Any student who ends up taking extra classes or not satisfying their prereqs didn't follow directions.
3. The money is insignificant when you look at the experiences you might miss out on.
Actually, it's those experiences that you can enjoy because you went to a JC. I wanted to do all sorts of outdoor activities, sports, and other fun things in the UC system, but knew I'd be working 20-30 hours a week. By going to a JC, I was able to save enough money so that when I went to a UC, I could enjoy it.
Living in the dorms gives you the opportunity to meet people, make friends, live the "college experience," etc. Building a support system early on is invaluable. Transfer students often feel out of place and complain that it is difficult meeting people at the large UC's.
This point is valid, but it's not a showstopper. Most UC's have themed floors and they all have "transfer" floors. I strongly agree about the "college experience" and the importance of living on the dorms for social reasons. But you can live on a transfer floor when you transfer in. You live in a dorm for a year when you get there, with other students who are also transfer students and you get a nice social network. Not much is lost.

Again, if the OP has the money and circumstances to go straight through, I say do it. But if he doesn't, I wouldn't worry.

Also, there are some advantages to a good JC that is rarely talked about. The fact that you are being taught in small classes with lots of faculty interaction. The fact that your faculty are specifically motivated/interested by teaching, not necessarily research.

I was accepted out of HS to Berkeley, but went to a JC. I visited friends up at Cal, but was pretty turned off by the huge lecture hall classes, some of which were taught by people who were probably brilliant but not very talented teachers. I actually preferred the JC environment. The experience was significant enough that by the time I transferred, I decided instead to go to UC Santa Cruz, which was the only UC I looked at dedicated to undergrad education. 90% of its student body was undergraduate, vs. 50% at Cal and UCLA.

I'm actually gonna concur with kurlyque. When I transferred (kinda) back to the cc from the university, they lowered my grants, they took away 1000! They also lowered my loans (which I don't mind) Take into consideration, I have special circumstances like being a single mom, so I get a large amount of both loans and grants. Never the less, it's a given that fin aid will change based on enrollment at a cc/uni. Someone else mentioned that you should find a cc that is involved with a university, it's almost a must if you don't want to worry about credits not transferring and want to take advantage of other opportunities at the uni as well as the cc. The cc I go to is not only affiliated with ALL the universities in my state, but has dual enrollment to pretty much all of them. I'm dual enrolled right now, but only take classes at one, I could take classes at both and be fully involved with each school. Definitely look into that, could save you both time and money.

My comments were from my own experiences. I think that the situation is going to be different for everybody. I personally wish I hadn't done it, but I have friends that wouldn't have done it any other way.

I agree that there is an ugly middle of the road where people don't get much financial aid. However, things like the CAL grant are also based on merit, which often pays for significant amounts of tuition. These grants are available for students whose families make up to $65,000-85,000... hardly leaving out the middle of the road people.

Once again, I was speaking from experience. Yes, your GE's will transfer if you follow the guidelines. However, the school I transferred to required that I take 3 additional GE classes once at the UC. My GE's all transferred, but there were additional requirements I had to take in order to obtain a degree from the UC.

The GE's were not actually what I was referring to here. There are certain major requirements at each school. I had taken a year of general biology and a year of calculus at the CC on a semester system. These classes transferred and I received credit for them. However, they did NOT satisfy the entire requirements for my major. 2 semesters of Biology didn't count as three quarters of biology. I ended up having to take the third quarter of general bio. Same thing with Calculus. My 2 semesters didn't cover everything they did in three quarters, so I had to take the third quarter of calculus once at the UC. It was not fun or easy taking the last quarter of a class a year after already completing that class. There was NOTHING I could have done differently at the CC to fix this. They only offered two semesters of calculus. These math units satisfied my GE's, but did not satisfy my major requirements.

The opportunities at a UC are innumerable compared to those at a CC. Why wait two years to get involved with activities that you love. I also worked 20-30 hours a week at both the CC and the UC. I had to work in order to support myself. If you get to live with the parents while at a CC, then this might be a reason to go to a CC. You might be able to save money for the years to come. I personally, lived in my own apartment since I was 18. I was never able to save money just because I went to a CC.

The school I transferred to had VERY limited dorms available to transfer students. It wasn't an option for 95% of the transfer students. I ended up moving to a big city where I knew no one. The UC campus was very large and my classes were hundreds of people. There was very limited opportunities to meet people, and it wasn't from my lack of trying. I really put myself out there, going to events, joining clubs, etc. I still didn't feel like I really belonged and had a good group of friends until my fifth year. Too long to wait for that "college experience" if you ask me.

This all being said, I received a good education at a CC. The classes are small, so you have access to the professors. They are always willing to help and answer your questions. This makes it easier to get decent grades in the medical school prereqs. At the UC's you often have 300 students to a class and you may never even speak to your professor. On the flip side, it can be very difficult to adjust from the small classroom on a semester system to a large classroom on a quarter system. If you begin as a freshman at a UC, you can adjust early on with everybody else. As a transfer student you are trying to adjust when you are just starting to take many of your difficult upper division classes.

I am NOT saying that going to a CC is bad or that it will hurt your chances of getting into medical school. All I am saying is that there are two sides to everything. It depends on what you want to get out of college. Money isn't everything and shouldn't be the only deciding factor.