Community College Transfer to 4 yr University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmpndaflip

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone here went to a Community College first 2 years then transfer to a 4 yr University who then applied and got accepted to medical school? How does the adcom look at Community College transfers?

Members don't see this ad.

I did. Worked just fine for me. 2 years at CCSF. 2 years at UC Berkeley. Half way done UCSF. As long as you do well on the MCAT and provide an informative personal statement, most schools may actually look at your 'ascension' as a plus. I was a returning student and junior college was a good financial decision for me. It actually worked in my favor for most of my interviews. One interviewer at NYU had a bit of an elitist attitude but I didn't really sweat it.

I will say that CA is a bit more understanding when it comes to 'transfer' students.

Just do your best and don't let doubters distract you from reaching your goal.

I'm an out of stater who was contemplating moving to L.a. and go to UCLA. Come to find out transferring into the U.C. System is nearly impossible and as a transfer student I would either have to 1)come in with 60 credit hours or 2)attend CC and then transfer to UCLA.

My friend and I were discussing option 2, and he told me around Cali, some of these CC are very well known and the larger universities know of them. So, I think the CC route should be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a CC for two years, then transferred to a 4-yr. school. Got into about five programs, no worries and no mention of CC during any interviews. It is most definitely doable. Good luck!

well this is great to hear b/c I attend a cc right now but will be transferring to university in the fall 04. thanks for the reassurance guys. :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by LJoo83
I'm an out of stater who was contemplating moving to L.a. and go to UCLA. Come to find out transferring into the U.C. System is nearly impossible and as a transfer student I would either have to 1)come in with 60 credit hours or 2)attend CC and then transfer to UCLA.

My friend and I were discussing option 2, and he told me around Cali, some of these CC are very well known and the larger universities know of them. So, I think the CC route should be okay.

I did the CC thing before UCLA so if you have any questions, just holla!

I also did community college to fulfill some pre-med reqs. Two interviewers asked about it. One (SLU) asked my why I had taken classes (Gen Chem and some Bio) there and stated that the admissions committee preferred that these be taken at a 4-yr. The other interviewer asked me if I had gone to a CC because the courses there were easier. I'm still waiting to hear from both of these schools, but I was accepted somewhere else.