Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whittnay

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from high school. For my freshman and sophmore year, I have to attend the community college where I live. When I transfer to a four year, are my chances of getting into a competitive university lowered- especially if i want to transfer out of state (Massachusetts)? I would appreciate any responses to this question- thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know of someone who went to Santa Rosa Community College for three years and then transferred to UCDavis.... She did extremely well during her first two quarters in UCDavis and did really well in her MCAT's. She is now attending University of Michigan Medical School.... She got accepted to 5 allopathic medical schools, btw.

Just something to let you know that it's possible.... When you transfer to a four year, make sure you do well and then do well in your MCAT's.... Good luck and best wishes.

Do searchs with the search function of this site. This topic has been covered at good length in the past numerous times, and you may benefit thereby. Best wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was all I needed to hear- thank you guys so much! :)

I went to my local CC out of necessity too. My family is very poor and every single member of my family is sick with some type of disease whether it's kidney failure or lupus. I've had to stay close to home and play doctor from a very early age, so I was content and determined to do well at my CC (which BTW is a one of the best CC's in the state of IL). I transferred to a top-notch, private, liberal arts school which has a great reputation and acceptance with medical schools in Illinois. BTW, I've contacted all of the medical schools I'm interested in and none of them say that my CC work will hurt me so long as I demonstrate the same level of knowledge on the MCAT as those that went to a 4 year university. I think Popoys story is tremendous and sums up alot. It doesn't matter so much per se where you went to college, but it's what you did while you were there that counts.

Best of Luck!

One potential caveat: Be sure to ask the schools to which you plan to apply whether or not the pre-med requirements may be taken at a community college (or under which circumstances it is acceptable). I needed to take some pre-reqs post-bacc, and I found out that Wayne State and U-M *DO NOT* accept CC credits for pre-reqs (MSU does) and they need to be taken at a 4-year institution. (I only know about MI schools, sorry.) There may be different "rules" for different situations.

My point? Ask now to save time and potential heartache later.

It is true that some medical schools won't acknowledge CC work, which is unfornate for some. For me, my situation is much better. All of the schools I've contacted said my CC work is acceptable as long as I perform well on the MCAT. All-in-All, it's always a good idea to check and see which schools will take your CC work.

Being 16 years out of high school, which was my last class time, I'm doing a couple of years at my local CC. I plan on transferring to UVA, which isn't too far away. UVA undergrad takes all credits from CC, and UVA medical is my first choice for a medical school.

With luck, I won't have to leave Virginia.

Nova

I attended a CC for two years after high school b/f transferring to a 4 year school, and i had no trouble getting into med school. They placed no emphasis on where i went, but what i did while i was there. Good luck!

Same story as slindsay198. Do well wherever you may go and you should be fine.
-J