community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ytg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if there are any med schools who do not accept pre-reqs taken at a comm. college

Members don't see this ad.

ytg said:
does anyone know if there are any med schools who do not accept pre-reqs taken at a comm. college

Quick background about my friend:
39 MCAT
2 yrs CC
2 yrs UCLA
Cum GPA :~3.9

When my friend interviewed at Vanderbilt they asked him if he would retake his cc courses. He kindly declined. He says that apparently CC's arent so well respected on the east coast. He said he thinks its because there arent many respectable community colleges around there or something.

Hope this helps

ytg said:
ytg, I think it usually depends on the reputation of the community college that you attended. I graduated from LSU with a bachelor's of science, however, I attended LSU at Eunice, a community college, for 2 years before going to LSU. Since it was part of the LSU system, all of my classes transferred. Also, the medical school that I got into, LSUHSC-S, even boasts of LSUE students because we tend to be more humble than those that come from a big campus. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
SMC2UCLA2_ said:
Quick background about my friend:
39 MCAT
2 yrs CC
2 yrs UCLA
Cum GPA :~3.9

When my friend interviewed at Vanderbilt they asked him if he would retake his cc courses. He kindly declined. He says that apparently CC's arent so well respected on the east coast. He said he thinks its because there arent many respectable community colleges around there or something.

Hope this helps

I don't know much about the other cc's on the east coast but the one I went to in Northern Virginia (NVCC) claims to be one of the top 3 in the Nation. I think they were number 1 according to one list that I had seen, but that's relative I guess.

To the OP:

As far as cc's go, I had the same concern. I have since transferred to UVA and the premedical advisors here say that if you perform on the same level here as in the cc then it doesn't make a difference at all. By meaning the same level they are in particular referring to the sciences, for a student that has taken all of there prereqs at the cc they say that you must take upper level sciences and perform on the same level in them. When I expressed my concerns about this she said as a science major, since I will be taking numerous upper level sciences that the cc will completly be overlooked if I perform well.

ytg said:

Boston

madonna said:

Not true. You just have to explain to Boston why you took cc classes.

In general if you take cc for the first two years and then transfer you are good to go...because it shows that you probably did not do well in highschool, then turned around and did well...if you do this, you have to make sure to do well at the university you transfered to.

What definitely looks bad is if you take classes at cc when you are enrolled at a 4 year institution. Especially if they are BCPM...Good luck!

Elastase said:
What definitely looks bad is if you take classes at cc when you are enrolled at a 4 year institution. Especially if they are BCPM...Good luck!

I finished at a four year school and have to retake 2 classes (chem2 and genetics) at a CC. They fit best into my schedule at the CC. Would that be a viable reason?

StanSmith said:
I finished at a four year school and have to retake 2 classes (chem2 and genetics) at a CC. They fit best into my schedule at the CC. Would that be a viable reason?

if you get a chance to explain it :) i think so.
i know a girl who went to CC and is in hopkins now

What definitely looks bad is if you take classes at cc when you are enrolled at a 4 year institution. Especially if they are BCPM...Good luck![/QUOTE said:
I have my bachelor's already but am taking my science pre-reqs at a CC. They fit well into my sch, I like the small classes, and it is much cheaper. Am i screwed? :scared:

Mz Shaikh said:
I have my bachelor's already but am taking my science pre-reqs at a CC. They fit well into my sch, I like the small classes, and it is much cheaper. Am i screwed? :scared:

I hope not - I'm doing the same - any thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

Megboo said:
I hope not - I'm doing the same - any thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

I was planning on doing the same. It is just cheaper. Don't want to go into debt sooner than I have to. Oh well. Maybe I should just stay at the university. Although I really do not think that there classes are any better the cc's.

I took Bio 1, Bio 2, Chem 1, and Intro to Lit at a community college as well as some other classes. I also didnt take any upper level bio classes (but i was an exercise physiology major, so lots of physio classes) and only took organic as upper level chem. I got accepted to Pittsburgh (Top 15-20 school) in October, so I think as long as you have a strong GPA at your 4-year school you should be good ( and goog MCAT to prove you learned your ****). As a disclaimer, I am now getting my masters in biochem from Hopkins, but Pittsburgh didnt have any of those grades when they accepted me. Hope this helps.....

Jim

PS. I think i learned A LOT more im my community college classes. Small class sizes and teachers that cared to teach, it was refreshing....

Mz Shaikh said:
This CC thing tends to get overblown, from what I've heard.

If you get As at a CC and blow the MCAT, THEN the CC choice looks bad. If you do well on the MCAT, you're on equal footing.

Keep in mind, some of us attended CC for reasons of _cost_ not poor grades or intelligence. CC is not just for the dull, but also for those of us who didn't have parents footing the bill.

I think you just need to prove that you have done well at the university in general...if you take cc classes its no big deal if you have proven your academic potential in other areas. I believe having a solid GPA shows perserverance and being consistent more so that MCAT score. Good luck!

I am currently looking into attending college in Michigan for the first time. I went today to our comm. college and registered, took COMPASS, all that jazz.
I'm still really new to all of this so, I'm sorry if I don't say something correctly or clearly. I let the counselor/advisor know that I wanted to get a bachelors degree in science from CMU majoring in RN, then try my hand at med. school. Now, I was told that I can take some of the pre-reqs at comm college (i'm kind of concerned about money) and then transfer them over, possibly even going to both comm. college and CMU at the same time.
The reason why I am doing this is because Delta college has their own RN program, and I don't want to graduate from there, I want to graduate from CMU. So I can only take some courses at Delta, because CMU also has their own RN program and some of the classes wouldn't apply to their program.
I'm not trying to sound like an idiot, I'm not really. I just would like to hear from some people who have done it versus someone who sits in a office and hasn't. :confused:

Those who say "just take your classes at a 4 year school" really don't understand reality:

1) It costs a lot more
2) Getting into classes is very difficult
3) More flexible options at cc

If you work full time a 4 year school is just not an option in most places.

ytg said:
Take your prereqs at your home school. Taking "hard" classes at easy schools is looked down upon by many med schools. If you have compelling reasons to take it at a CC, then do it. Otherwise, it's strongly encouraged that you take all your classes at your home institution.

happydays said:
Take your prereqs at your home school. Taking "hard" classes at easy schools is looked down upon by many med schools. If you have compelling reasons to take it at a CC, then do it. Otherwise, it's strongly encouraged that you take all your classes at your home institution.

I agree with this in some situations. For non-trads it tends to be less of an issue if you've already got a degree, especially an advanced one.

There are always going to be people that say CC courses are bad and those that say they are not. Then there are the actual examples of people who get admitted that took them at a CC and those who get rejected for it. You have to see where you fit in, and how the classes fit in.

I attended two community colleges before I went to university. The concern that came up in my interviews was, "why did I attend so many schools?" They also thought that a summer program I did at UCLA in high school was "another school" even thought I didn't think that it was relevant. Of course, when I told them that I had to switch CCs bacause I had a stalker, they no longer cared. I think that it hurt me in the primary/secondary process though.

If you're going to CC stick it out at the same one if you can.

opstandzon said:
If you're going to CC stick it out at the same one if you can.

Think I'll have a problem? Through my 20s, I went to a LOT of different schools... there was a period where I was moving a whole lot, and going to a different school every year. Mind you, when I transfer to Davis, I'll be sticking it out there.

I went to Vanderbilt for my Masters and I am doing my pre reqs at a cc. You think the advanced degree will overshadow the fact I went to a cc for my med school pre reqs?