Advice regarding re-applying and post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elohareeen6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was hoping to get some advice regarding what I should do as an eventual re-applicant. Some background on myself:

Degree granting college GPA:3.69
Degree granting college sGPA: 3.53
MCAT score: 498 (very low, I know :() Phys & Chem: 123, Biological: 123, Psych:124, CARS:128
4000+ clinical hours including shadowing, internship in labor and delivery, and medical scribing

However, I should note here that I took a few classes after graduating from my degree-granting institution because I was unsure whether I wanted to pursue med school or PA school, and I did pretty awful in those classes because of some personal issues going on at the time.. my dad (former drug-addict) who I hadn't spoken to in several years got really sick and I was literally flying back and forth from NY to FL to see him regularly, while taking class, also working full-time, and trying to study for my MCAT. Needless to say it was a hectic time, and I stretched myself too thin.

That being said I withdrew from part-time classes twice (because I knew I was just not performing to my usual standard) and received the following grades:
Human anatomy & physiology 1&2: B
Biochem: D
Physics 2: B+
Physics 2 Lab: A

Obviously, I know this really hurt my chances of medical school admission, but I am still determined to succeed. Which leads me to my question. I have been looking at two post-bac masters programs: NYMC MS in Basic Medical Science (Traditional Track) & Touro College of Osteopathic Medical School MS Program. Does anyone have any advice on which of these programs would be the best option for someone in my position (keeping in mind that I still have to take my MCAT again)? Do you think I have a shot at getting into medical school at all at this point?

A huge thank you to everyone who took the time to read my thread :)

Members don't see this ad.

Only do a post bacc if they guarantee you a spot in their class (if you get certain grades). Total waste of money if there isn't a linkage of some sort