Community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So currently I'm going to a 2year community college. I was wondering, will it hurt my chances if I take some med school pre-req courses at a CC? I plan on getting my associates from here as well. The ONLY pre-req for med school I plan on taking from my CC is Physics+English1+2(amazing proff here). Will this hurt my chances?? The rest of the courses I take are normal stuff like trig, anatomy& physiology, ethics, ect ect(Just taking them so I can transfer to a Uni).

Oh and one more question, I was told that my major doesn't mean anything when applying to med school, as long as I take the right courses. So will it matter if I pick a bullshiit degree such as "Liberal arts" to get my associates so that so I can transfer to a uni? I don't plan to take even Chemistry at this CC, even though I know it's going to be such an easy A.

-Thanks for the help you guys :)

TL&DR
-at community college
-will it hurt me if i take 3 med school pre-req courses at a community college
-Does my associate major matter when xfering to Uni

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So currently I'm going to a 2year community college. I was wondering, will it hurt my chances if I take some med school pre-req courses at a CC? I plan on getting my associates from here as well. The ONLY pre-req for med school I plan on taking from my CC is Physics+English1+2(amazing proff here). Will this hurt my chances?? The rest of the courses I take are normal stuff like trig, anatomy& physiology, ethics, ect ect(Just taking them so I can transfer to a Uni).

Oh and one more question, I was told that my major doesn't mean anything when applying to med school, as long as I take the right courses. So will it matter if I pick a bullshiit degree such as "Liberal arts" to get my associates so that so I can transfer to a uni? I don't plan to take even Chemistry at this CC, even though I know it's going to be such an easy A.

-Thanks for the help you guys :)

TL&DR
-at community college
-will it hurt me if i take 3 med school pre-req courses at a community college
-Does my associate major matter when xfering to Uni
Med schools will not care if you get an associates degree or not. They won't care about your major. But some med schools frown on CC credits. Some don't accept prerequisites taken at a CC at all. And some schools will specifically be looking to see if you challenged yourself or if you took the easy way.

That said, for the majority you'll be fine taking math and English at a CC. You might flirt with the idea of taking a few science classes and Physics at the CC, but be warned that if it's "easy" to get an A, the course is probably not sufficiently rigorous to prepare you well for the MCAT, so it can be risky.

I have the same problem here. I am an International student just recently moving to a community college in seattle. Shoreline exactly. Since i would like to take dentistry as a career, i decided to take associate of science in my CC (Inorganic-Organic Chemistry, bio, Physics, calculus and etc) Since I am new to this major, I would like to know can this be my Pre-dental courses? And after 2 year of CC i shall move to a dental school?
or is this not enough and I should move to a university after my CC for pre-Dental? And if yes, is it possible to take one year CC and move on to pre-dent?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same problem here. I am an International student just recently moving to a community college in seattle. Shoreline exactly. Since i would like to take dentistry as a career, i decided to take associate of science in my CC (Inorganic-Organic Chemistry, bio, Physics, calculus and etc) Since I am new to this major, I would like to know can this be my Pre-dental courses? And after 2 year of CC i shall move to a dental school?
or is this not enough and I should move to a university after my CC for pre-Dental? And if yes, is it possible to take one year CC and move on to pre-dent?
This subforum is for premedical students. Consider checking out SDN's dental forums http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I'm at a community college as well. From what I understand, it really depends where you are going to medical school. I am at Folsom Lake CC, which as quite a strong partnership with UC Davis. I contacted their medical school directly to ask about this because my medical school requirements are also my transfer requirements, so I have no choice but to take the class at the cc. They told me that I was on the right track and it shouldn't be a problem. A lot of times, it also depends on your grades after you transfer. If you got all As at you cc, then you transfer and start getting Cs, they may consider your cc to be too "easy." If you keep your high grades, shouldn't be a problem. If you're still concerned, contact the admissions department at the medical schools you're interested in. They can tell you have the view cc courses and if you need to repeat any at a university.