Community Hospital Chances for GI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stantheman34

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I’m an incoming intern at a community hospital in the Midwest that doesn’t have an in-house GI fellowship. I had to SOAP unfortunately after interviewing with a couple of academic places but luckily I got into IM program nearby. I’m an AMG and I scored lows 240s on both my step 1 and 2. I’m in the process of working on a GI project with a peds GI in my hometown but other than that I haven’t done much research in the field. I plan to connect with GIs in a nearby university for opportunities of research when I start my intern year. Do I have a chance of matching into a GI program? Advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Was IM your main specialty for the match? Or did you have to soap because you weren't able to match your primary specialty? I ask because having 240s on both exams from a USMD, those are great stats/odds for a categorical IM program?

The honest truth is that you're going to have problems getting into GI given your story. Since your home program doesn't have a GI fellowship there will likely be less research options, and unclear mentorship. Contacting a local univ program is certainly an option -- but you won't have EMR access there, they can't share their clinical data with you (at least not easily), and they will have their own residents and students to focus upon. And from your description you haven't been active with your school's GI group (else you might be able to continue that when in your residency).

Nothing is impossible, but it's not going to be easy. You're going to need to try to network with other GI docs in academics. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone in your local GI group is doing research you can work with, or maybe the Univ group will be open to something.

I would consider trying to transfer into an academic program for second year if I were you. This is not as uncommon as you may think. I know of some folks that have done it (for various reasons) and later went on to match GI. But if you aren’t able to make the switch, I suspect things are going to be extra challenging (albeit never impossible).