community vs. university based hospital IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sameer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had applied to community IM prelim programs along with neurology. If I do not want to pursue neurology and continue with IM for all three years, will I be at a big disadvantage when applying for IM subspecialty fellowships or does this depend more on the particular IM subspecialty. Also if there is a big disadvantage can this be made up with research. I am from a U.S med school, does this help any? How about step 3 scores?

Members don't see this ad.

I was always curious about this myself.

I'm not going into medicine but I was really smitten by a small community hospital that was an affiliate of my major university program. If I were to complete a categorical medicine residency there, as an AMG, as someone with solid Steps, would I still be at a large disadvantage for fellowships? (Especially the competitive ones like cards, GI, allergy?)

I do realize all 3 fields require research which is probably the big downside of heading to a small community hospital but the one I had my eye on had a solid research center set up with the major university program down the road.

I was always curious about this myself.

I'm not going into medicine but I was really smitten by a small community hospital that was an affiliate of my major university program. If I were to complete a categorical medicine residency there, as an AMG, as someone with solid Steps, would I still be at a large disadvantage for fellowships? (Especially the competitive ones like cards, GI, allergy?)

I do realize all 3 fields require research which is probably the big downside of heading to a small community hospital but the one I had my eye on had a solid research center set up with the major university program down the road.

For the more competitive fellowships, yes you are at a disadvantage. With solid research, you should gain more edge to be more competitive. I am at a large University. We do not have residents from community programs in cards and GI, but we have had in all our other fellowships.

Last edited: