lyalya5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
New York
Status
Medical Student
Hello - I am currently living in manhattan with my husband and a young child on the east side. I matched at LIJ in New Hyde park. My husband works downtown. We are trying to figure out where to live. I would stay where we are but I am afriad of the post-call commute. anybody has any experience with it? do I just not realize what my life would be like?
If we do not stay, where can we look. I like coming outside and seeing funky coffee shops, ethnic eateries, parks, organic food, baby yoga... any advice?
Really appreciate it!

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Hello - I am currently living in manhattan with my husband and a young child on the east side. I matched at LIJ in New Hyde park. My husband works downtown. We are trying to figure out where to live. I would stay where we are but I am afriad of the post-call commute. anybody has any experience with it? do I just not realize what my life would be like?
If we do not stay, where can we look. I like coming outside and seeing funky coffee shops, ethnic eateries, parks, organic food, baby yoga... any advice?
Really appreciate it!
What specialty? If you're talking about Surgery or OB, you need to move about 45 seconds away from the hospital and make your husband commute. Otherwise, it's totally do-able, assuming you have a car. It's a reverse commute and it won't be too bad either way. I commuted from Park Slope in Brooklyn to North Shore for awhile during med school and, aside from my week of night float (in which case it really sucked), the commute was pretty chill.

You will NOT be able to commute on public transit. Just put that idea out of your head right now.

maceo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
move to queens.. or long island and have your husband take the LIRR to manhaan and you will have a cush drive to work every morning. there are plenty of towns in Long Island that are near the LIRR and many many people do the commute to manhattan. Living in manhattan and commuting to queens is real silly idea. living in manhattan isnt what its cracked up to be. If you love manhattan so much.. just go there on weekends. plus you will save a lot of money moving out of manhattan

Apr 13, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I live in Manhattan and commute to LIJ. I was worried about the commute at first but it has turned out to be worth every minute. Intern year is bad enough without having to move to the suburbs, especially if you have a life established in the city. That said, you will have to deal with parking your car when you get home... alternate-side parking will add a special challenge to your day, especially when postcall.

If you're willing to pay the toll, taking the triborough bridge makes the commute very easy-- get on the FDR, take the GCP to the LIE and you're there in about 25 minutes (early in the morning). Add an extra 15 minutes if you want to take the 59th street bridge. The drive back is extremely variable depending on the time of day-- ranges from 30 minutes to an hour or more if there's a wreck or construction. I would say on average I spend about 45 minutes driving home.

All in all I would highly recommend staying in Manhattan if you are happy where you live. Long Island is totally weird and it might make you crazy if you never get out.

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
If you're going to have a long drive, consider getting an audio version of board review. Several residents in my program have done so, and found that it's better to use that time productively, and then be more "free" when they get home.

maceo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Long Island is totally weird and it might make you crazy if you never get out.
geez, why would you even say that? Long Island has some great great restaurants, miles and miles of ocean beaches, beach front apartments, boating, night clubs, green parks and swimming pools (north hempstead park in NHP about 10 mins from LIJ.... That pool is fan f,,ing tastic... Jones beach is 20 mins away, LA fitness is across the street from LIJ, great neck is 5 mins away and has multiple high end fitness centers, decent rent apartments, high end restaurants, tree lined streets,... there are massive grocery stores with parking within minutes of LIJ, Why on earth anybody would commute into manhattan when you can live within 20 mins of LIJ in long island is beyond me.. Go into manhattan on the weekends on the railroad.

Isles7

7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I moved from NYC out to Long Island last year for med school and have been pretty unhappy with the change of pace. Visiting on weekends is not the same as living there, and I can certainly understand your reluctance to move away from somewhere that you are happy.

I frequently commute to Stony Brook from northern New Jersey via Harlem River Drive and the Triboro and generally don't have problems with traffic around 6:45-7:30ish am. With that said, post-call you will be traveling with rush hour and the Northern State and LIE can get pretty backed up from about 7-9 AM. I'm not a resident (I'm a med student) so I don't know what time you will be traveling or how hard the commute will be if you're exhausted from working long hours.

Best of luck!

meathooks

Perpetual Resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2006
The dirty area of the South
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
To second WS, the LIRR does not leave from Penn Station early enough to get you to Hyde Park. You have to have a car. I have some friends who commute to Long Island or the Bronx from Manhattan. Going to work is easy, it's crossing the bridge noon-ish post-call and then spending 30 minutes looking for parking that's the real pain in the ass. I think you can rent a space in a garage, but it's like $500/mo.

maceo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Because the earliest trains will not get you to the city in time for morning rounds.
LIJ is not in the city its in nassau county at the tip of queens.. so he doesnt need to go to the city early he needs to be in long island early.. that requires a car. that drive at 6-7 am from manhattan to LIJ is prolly a 20 minute ride.. in the evening might be a pain. but everything is variable in NYC. accidents, rain. snow... president is in town.. ball games etc. have to take in to consideration. If i were you i would find an apartment in great neck, roslyn, manhassett or any of the surrounding towns. and go into city on weekends you wont regret it