Commuting in BOSTON

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asahameed

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to join TUFTS dental school from August....I was wondering if I stayed a little further away from Boston, maybe somewhere near New Hampshire I would have to take the commuter rail.....I am not sure how the service is and how long it takes...But my questions is to anyone who lives in Boston and has the experience of travelling using the rail and orange line.....Will it be better to pay extra money and stay somewhere close by.....Any kind of suggestion is appreciated
Thankyou

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I would suggest living near Boston, DON'T go up to NH just because you think it's cheaper- it's not, and you can live for the same amount of money near the Boston area. The commute is KILLER, and totally not worth the headache you would endure.

Best of luck to you and hope you love Boston like I do :)

Amelia

Totally agree with Amelia. Do NOT live near NH. Just try to live in one of the known "college student" neighborhoods like Allston, Brighton, even Newton, or the nicer parts of Jamica Plain or Cambridge. The rent shouldn't be too bad, the green or red lines should get you pretty darn close to Tufts in about 75% less commute time. Not to mention, that commuter line isn't all that cheap. Seriously...do yourself a favor and live in the city.

yes, definately live close to where you go to school. That's my only suggestion. I heard that the first 2 years are the toughest and you'll need all the free times available to study, not to mention the extra lab time one might spent each week.
My brother went to school in Boston for music and he said that the rent doesn't really fluctuate that much, add up the commuting cost. so.. it's better to find a nice place near school or subway if you decided to live a bit out.
hope this helps :)

dreamfish