Commuting to school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marydwayna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone commute to school everyday? The way it's looking right now my fiancé and I will end up living an hour from where I am planning on attending therefore I would have to commute everyday. Is this something that is doable or would I be out of my mind to drive that far everyday? Living expenses would be much less living the hour away because it would be on my families land but I'm not sure if it's worth two hours on the road everyday. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

How's traffic? I'm ~45 miles from school, but I carpool with a classmate (makes for excellent review sessions on test day). It's rush hour both ways for me. It would be over an hour each way if I drove alone (which I do, occasionally). It's pretty much a five-days-a-week curriculum for me with 7am tests. I'm just about half way through D2 and still chugging along (the worst is over). Optimal? No. Doable? Sure. It gets silly if you want to get all social. I hate all my classmates, so I don't care to hang out with them. Not really though. But consider that if you thrive on social life. Is the ugly sweater party really worth the drive out there? Those things go through my mind (that answer was no that time). If you want to roll to lab on the weekend or meet with classmates, it's a little lame as well. But if it's what you have to do, you make it happen.

That makes me feel much better. Thank you! Everyone I have asked told me I was crazy for wanting to drive... It's not that I want to but it will make it easier for future because I will already have my home in the county that I want to practice in

Members don't see this ad :)
Toying with it. Husband and I are looking at buying a house, but not sure yet if the commute would be worth it

That makes me feel much better. Thank you! Everyone I have asked told me I was crazy for wanting to drive... It's not that I want to but it will make it easier for future because I will already have my home in the county that I want to practice in

Your classmates will occasionally remind you that you're crazy as well. A small part of why I didn't move was not wanting to sell a house. Just use good time management (don't ask me about that...I'm terrible) and know that you will have to make sacrifices. It's kind of nice to get away from school though. Like...far away. The drive home is sometimes a good decompressing time after a long day. I've also listened to lectures if I drive alone (as a review rather than first-pass material).

I'll be taking a 45-min train straight to school everyday, avoiding gridlock and getting 90mins of study time, for way cheaper than driving. Seems pretty optimal to me.

Reactions: 1 user
It really depends on you. Do you enjoy driving? I will give my personal testimony. I lived 5 min drive from school and didn't drive but did the 15-20min walk or 7 min bike ride. I decided to cut my living expenses and move further away to save 150/month in rent. Oh boy, I was mimiserable. It required me to drive every day and it was a 20 min commute, 30 in traffic. Oh and then I had to buy a parking pass. At most big universities its known as a "license to hunt"... aka I had to park at the mass lot and take the shuttle to the heart of campus. All in all I had to leave an hour before I needed to be in class and it drove me up the walls. Maybe this is because I had grown accustomed to leaving 20 minutes before class. Also I hated driving back to campus in the evening to go the library/lab/whatever. Furthermore, I did the math and I didn't save squat. What I thought I was saving in rent, was pretty much spent in gas. For me, I wasn't worth it. I learned that I like, need, and thrive being close to school. I hate driving to school and will pay to walk/bike within reason. Not sure of your finances.... but if living at your family's land is pretty much free it might be worth it for you. Just because you want to practice there doesn't mean you have to live there now. After all you'll be in school and logically will spend extensive time there on weekends assuming you dont go lab or lock yourself away to study.

Interesting to read all of this. Paid and limited parking would be lame for money and time. I get grumpy when there's a line to pull in or if I have to park in the garage.

I will be driving everyday too. School is like about 15-20 miles from my house, maybe a 30ish min commute from my place (in traffic).

I don't mind much though. Living at home, cutting that huge living cost, and not to mention free food.

Don't know how this parking situation will work, but I don't foresee it to be much of a hassle.