COMP and Robbie's

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by BigSkyDreams, Jan 1, 2001.

1. BigSkyDreams

BigSkyDreams Smelly Uncle Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Howdy,

For the folks at COMP, what do you think about Robbie's (sp) being on campus? I stopped by there a few weeks ago and was truely shocked to find a bar on campus, let alone one with ads for weekly sex shows!!! I know that it's just an image thing but is the school thinking about buying this place out or what? Is it for real? Do you guys hang out there? What's the story?

------------------
    BSD
    ______
    Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

[This message has been edited by BigSkyDreams (edited 01-02-2001).]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am going there in the Fall..and vaguely remember there being a bar in the middle..what is the deal? SEX SHOWS??? Someone...anyone?
    I love this...I thought I was gonna miss the NYC excitement...but apparently there will be pleanty of drama...

Bring it on!!!!

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 01-02-2001).]

4. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

Wow. Maybe I shoulda gone to COMP [​IMG]

5. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

As a future student at COMP, I am enthusiastic about attending classes there in August. I decided on COMP because of its academic rigor, excellent student turnouts, great facilities and instructors, the OMM emphasis present, and the schools great reputation. The bar and the so-so location in Pomona were of small issue in my decison making. COMP is an excellent school.

COMP accepts very competitive students. And often, they will deny acceptance (as seems to be the case here) to some.

BSD, keep working under the above said assumption.

6. seizure

seizure Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Robbie's is a gay bar on campus. We had the MS1 Halloween party there. If having a gay bar on campus bothers anyone, they should attend a different medical school.

7. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am interested in what life is like at Western. I got a feeling that the students like to go out after exams and blow off steam...Is this the case?
    As much as I am into studying...when I am done...There is nothing like knocking a few back down...and kicking back for a night... How realistic is this?

8. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

seizure, thanks for the clarification.

I recant my earlier statement. [​IMG]

and, adismo, in regards to your post where you said "COMP accepts very competitive students. And often, they will deny acceptance (as seems to be the case here) to some." Since that appears to be a shot at me (correct me if I'm wrong) allow me to say that I didn't even apply to COMP, had no desire to attend COMP, and am very happy in school at AZCOM. In case you missed it, my comment was intended as a joke.

9. BigSkyDreams

BigSkyDreams Smelly Uncle Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Howdy,

S & A,

Thanks for the insight.

Both your posts included barbs that were not then nor now a necessary component of your reply.

The crime in Pomona is high, that is a fact.

Of course, I am not immune to having concerns about the location of the school, both the proximity of alcohol to stressed students and the extreme poverty of the surrounding neighborhood. However, this does not make me a raging bigot or imply that I am a substandard applicant.

The point behind my post was two fold: Was the bar for real? Is it accepted or is it an embarrassment to the students and administration?

Being that the school is slowly and methodically overtaking the old downtown, the school is located in an old strip mall, it stands to reason that the owner was either waiting for the right price, continued out of spite, or the bar was a welcome member of the neighborhood.

Curiosity not malice was my motivation, please accept my apology if I offended you.

------------------
    BSD
    ______
    Work under the assumption that you will be happy one day

[This message has been edited by BigSkyDreams (edited 01-03-2001).]

10. doctor jay

doctor jay Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey People!
    I will be starting at COMP in Aug, after completing a grad program at Loma Linda. From what I understand, the bar is very real and Western U has attempted to purchase the location several times, but to no avail. The owner has held on to the location from the beginning back in the late 70's when Western U originally purchased the mall area for the university. No clue if Western's quest will ever prevail, but what the heck--no one there really seemed to mind the bar when I interviewed. It gives all of us COMP students something interesting to talk about!!!!!

11. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

Hi again,

Boomer, AZCOM is bomb, I was especially impressed with the new facilities and the student body.... But my comment was not for you.

I thought there may have been an attempt to marr COMP. Looks like I read too much into BSD's comments. I guess the apology is reciprocal. Apologies all around, everyone.

But in all honesty there is an g-*ahem*-y bar on campus, Pomona is fashionably ghetto, and COMP is STILL the mega-bomb DO school. I'm just representing, ya know... keepin it real.

12. Paul's Boutique

10+ Year Member

Robbie's is a bar on campus that does seem to cater to a 'gay' crowd.

So what?

13. DO in Cali

DO in Cali New Member

Robbie's is a gay bar on Campus. Occasionally (about twice a year) we rent the entire place out and get ****-housed. That is the only time we go. We don't knock back beers after studying or really even notice that it is there. The bar has been around for 25 years and is a staple in the gay community. Despite Western's offer to purchase since we opened, they are not interested. Despite the fact that they are SMACK in the middle of campus, they are closed when we are open and our lives rarely if ever, intermingle. For the modest homophobe, it really is not an issue, just a juicy little factoid of attending COMP.

14. pyoj

pyoj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

people, we got better things to worry about.

i won't bother them if they don't bother me.

just point me in a direction where i can kick back a few beverages with some good friends and i'll be golden.