• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

    Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

    JOIN CONTEST

COMP - Foreign Medical Missions

deezballas

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2006
46
1
  1. Medical Student
    I will be a MSI at COMP this fall and I am looking for information from current students or alumni who have participated or know other students who participated in medical missions during medical school. A friend of mine in a MD school recently went to South America during spring break to volunteer. Does COMP have programs setup for students to join who want to volunteer abroad? I have spent significant time in West Africa and would love to return there to help the people enjoy better health care. Does COMP provide avenues for students to serve abroad? Any information/comments would be helpful. Thanks!
     

    bluerose786

    Member
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jul 5, 2005
    76
    0
      Hi Future Fellow Classmate:)

      I know that COMP definitely offers 4th year students opportunities for international rotations through various organizations (such as Child Family Health International)...I had asked the clinical rotations office about this. In terms of volunteer experience during breaks/summers, I'm pretty sure there has to be opportunities, especially because COMP is pretty heavy on primary care emphasis and on care towards underserved communities. One current MS1 at COMP told me that he and some of his fellow school/classmates were going to Pakistan this summer to do some medical relief work for earthquake victims. Even if a school doesn't offer programs, you can always find one through numerous organizations such as Unite for Sight, CFHI, etc. I myself am very INTERESTED in volunteering abroad for a summer or something.
       
      About the Ads

      njaqua

      Full Member
      10+ Year Member
      Jul 26, 2005
      192
      0
      44
      somewhere between heaven and hell
      www.myspace.com
      1. Medical Student
        Some COMP students volunteer through Flying Doctors of Mercy, who fly to Mexico, I believe once a month?, to provide medical care for the underserved.
        bluerose786 said:
        Hi Future Fellow Classmate:)

        I know that COMP definitely offers 4th year students opportunities for international rotations through various organizations (such as Child Family Health International)...I had asked the clinical rotations office about this. In terms of volunteer experience during breaks/summers, I'm pretty sure there has to be opportunities, especially because COMP is pretty heavy on primary care emphasis and on care towards underserved communities. One current MS1 at COMP told me that he and some of his fellow school/classmates were going to Pakistan this summer to do some medical relief work for earthquake victims. Even if a school doesn't offer programs, you can always find one through numerous organizations such as Unite for Sight, CFHI, etc. I myself am very INTERESTED in volunteering abroad for a summer or something.
         

        OnMyWayThere

        OMS-III
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Apr 2, 2003
        2,023
        2
        The best coast (west coast)
          njaqua said:
          Some COMP students volunteer through Flying Doctors of Mercy, who fly to Mexico, I believe once a month?, to provide medical care for the underserved.
          Yeah some of my classmates do that but keep in mind this is an external program that they pay for out of pocket... not affiliated with the school. Many programs like this exist if you want to get involved outside of school
           

          sgac

          Junior Member
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Feb 23, 2006
          11
          0
          DC
          1. Pre-Medical
            deezballas said:
            I will be a MSI at COMP this fall and I am looking for information from current students or alumni who have participated or know other students who participated in medical missions during medical school. A friend of mine in a MD school recently went to South America during spring break to volunteer. Does COMP have programs setup for students to join who want to volunteer abroad? I have spent significant time in West Africa and would love to return there to help the people enjoy better health care. Does COMP provide avenues for students to serve abroad? Any information/comments would be helpful. Thanks!


            Hi deezballas!

            I was just accepted to COMP and I lived in West Africa for over two years - we'll have to talk! I'm deciding between COMP and NSU now, and the opportunities for international work during fourth year made COMP very attractive (along with several other factors!). I need to learn more about the details of going abroad for fourth year, though. I'll do some digging and see if I can find more info. Is there a current student who could help us out? Thanks!

            BTW - NSU students can volunteer during the summers with DO-Care, which has a website. It sounds like a fantastic organization and my guess is that COMP students could also volunteer with them...
             

            emeraldcity

            Senior Member
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Feb 22, 2005
            179
            0
            Seattle
              reeeallly stupid question guys:

              Doctor's without borders accepts DOs too, right?
              and does anyone know where I can find a list of foreign countries that accept DO's into the medical community?
              I think Great Britian is the only one I know of...

              Thanks guys!
               

              OnMyWayThere

              OMS-III
              10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Apr 2, 2003
              2,023
              2
              The best coast (west coast)
                emeraldcity said:
                reeeallly stupid question guys:

                Doctor's without borders accepts DOs too, right?
                and does anyone know where I can find a list of foreign countries that accept DO's into the medical community?
                I think Great Britian is the only one I know of...

                Thanks guys!
                Hey emeraldcity... yes they accept DOs. They actually had a presentation for us at COMP. And for the foreign countries, here is a forum that talks about that http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=107627
                 

                emeraldcity

                Senior Member
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Feb 22, 2005
                179
                0
                Seattle
                  OnMyWayThere said:
                  Yeah I'm first year... finally coming to an end but it'll be a rough few weeks. Let me know if you have any questions about COMP! I'll be happy to help!!

                  very cool.
                  heard you guys just wrapped up neuro? on psych now, right?
                  good luck with slogging thru the last few weeks.
                  *haha* being around sunshine 24-7 might be a huuuuge adjustment for me... :p
                   

                  OnMyWayThere

                  OMS-III
                  10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Apr 2, 2003
                  2,023
                  2
                  The best coast (west coast)
                    emeraldcity said:
                    very cool.
                    heard you guys just wrapped up neuro? on psych now, right?
                    good luck with slogging thru the last few weeks.
                    *haha* being around sunshine 24-7 might be a huuuuge adjustment for me... :p
                    Yes finally done with Neuro!! We're on psych now which ends next Monday and then two more classes. You will adjust to the sunshine real quick. :cool:
                     
                    About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 15 years old.

                    Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                    1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.