COMP - Foreign Medical Missions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deezballas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a MSI at COMP this fall and I am looking for information from current students or alumni who have participated or know other students who participated in medical missions during medical school. A friend of mine in a MD school recently went to South America during spring break to volunteer. Does COMP have programs setup for students to join who want to volunteer abroad? I have spent significant time in West Africa and would love to return there to help the people enjoy better health care. Does COMP provide avenues for students to serve abroad? Any information/comments would be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Future Fellow Classmate:)

I know that COMP definitely offers 4th year students opportunities for international rotations through various organizations (such as Child Family Health International)...I had asked the clinical rotations office about this. In terms of volunteer experience during breaks/summers, I'm pretty sure there has to be opportunities, especially because COMP is pretty heavy on primary care emphasis and on care towards underserved communities. One current MS1 at COMP told me that he and some of his fellow school/classmates were going to Pakistan this summer to do some medical relief work for earthquake victims. Even if a school doesn't offer programs, you can always find one through numerous organizations such as Unite for Sight, CFHI, etc. I myself am very INTERESTED in volunteering abroad for a summer or something.

How about financing? Do students usually have to pay or are scholarships available?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some COMP students volunteer through Flying Doctors of Mercy, who fly to Mexico, I believe once a month?, to provide medical care for the underserved.
bluerose786 said:
Hi Future Fellow Classmate:)

I know that COMP definitely offers 4th year students opportunities for international rotations through various organizations (such as Child Family Health International)...I had asked the clinical rotations office about this. In terms of volunteer experience during breaks/summers, I'm pretty sure there has to be opportunities, especially because COMP is pretty heavy on primary care emphasis and on care towards underserved communities. One current MS1 at COMP told me that he and some of his fellow school/classmates were going to Pakistan this summer to do some medical relief work for earthquake victims. Even if a school doesn't offer programs, you can always find one through numerous organizations such as Unite for Sight, CFHI, etc. I myself am very INTERESTED in volunteering abroad for a summer or something.

njaqua said:
Some COMP students volunteer through Flying Doctors of Mercy, who fly to Mexico, I believe once a month?, to provide medical care for the underserved.
Yeah some of my classmates do that but keep in mind this is an external program that they pay for out of pocket... not affiliated with the school. Many programs like this exist if you want to get involved outside of school

deezballas said:
I will be a MSI at COMP this fall and I am looking for information from current students or alumni who have participated or know other students who participated in medical missions during medical school. A friend of mine in a MD school recently went to South America during spring break to volunteer. Does COMP have programs setup for students to join who want to volunteer abroad? I have spent significant time in West Africa and would love to return there to help the people enjoy better health care. Does COMP provide avenues for students to serve abroad? Any information/comments would be helpful. Thanks!

Hi deezballas!

I was just accepted to COMP and I lived in West Africa for over two years - we'll have to talk! I'm deciding between COMP and NSU now, and the opportunities for international work during fourth year made COMP very attractive (along with several other factors!). I need to learn more about the details of going abroad for fourth year, though. I'll do some digging and see if I can find more info. Is there a current student who could help us out? Thanks!

BTW - NSU students can volunteer during the summers with DO-Care, which has a website. It sounds like a fantastic organization and my guess is that COMP students could also volunteer with them...

reeeallly stupid question guys:

Doctor's without borders accepts DOs too, right?
and does anyone know where I can find a list of foreign countries that accept DO's into the medical community?
I think Great Britian is the only one I know of...

Thanks guys!

emeraldcity said:
reeeallly stupid question guys:

Doctor's without borders accepts DOs too, right?
and does anyone know where I can find a list of foreign countries that accept DO's into the medical community?
I think Great Britian is the only one I know of...

Thanks guys!
Hey emeraldcity... yes they accept DOs. They actually had a presentation for us at COMP. And for the foreign countries, here is a forum that talks about that http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=107627

emeraldcity said:
Hey,
thanks for that!

guess I will see you next year!
Are you a first year right now?
Yeah I'm first year... finally coming to an end but it'll be a rough few weeks. Let me know if you have any questions about COMP! I'll be happy to help!!

OnMyWayThere said:
Yeah I'm first year... finally coming to an end but it'll be a rough few weeks. Let me know if you have any questions about COMP! I'll be happy to help!!

very cool.
heard you guys just wrapped up neuro? on psych now, right?
good luck with slogging thru the last few weeks.
*haha* being around sunshine 24-7 might be a huuuuge adjustment for me... :p

emeraldcity said:
very cool.
heard you guys just wrapped up neuro? on psych now, right?
good luck with slogging thru the last few weeks.
*haha* being around sunshine 24-7 might be a huuuuge adjustment for me... :p
Yes finally done with Neuro!! We're on psych now which ends next Monday and then two more classes. You will adjust to the sunshine real quick. :cool:

*haha*
i'm sure I'll like the sunshine just fine...
glad to see there's a good support bas at COMP. :)