COMP-NW vs. TUNCOM vs. ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medfreak1290

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've been fortunate enough to gain acceptances to COMP-NW in Oregon as well as TUNCOM in Nevada. I also just interviewed at ACOM, and should be hearing back from them soon.

I'm soo confused right now, and don't know which school to go to, or what to consider. There are pros and cons about each that balance each other out, but if someone can please chime in here and suggest something, that would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations. It's up to your own judgment. ACOM is a new school so it could be risky but maybe you'll get more responsiveness from the administration.

COMP-NW and TUNCOM are both also kinda new I think but this isn't their first class.

I chose TUNCOM largely for these reasons. Much of the decision was based on personal preferences.

So, I've been fortunate enough to gain acceptances to COMP-NW in Oregon as well as TUNCOM in Nevada. I also just interviewed at ACOM, and should be hearing back from them soon.

I'm soo confused right now, and don't know which school to go to, or what to consider. There are pros and cons about each that balance each other out, but if someone can please chime in here and suggest something, that would be great. Thanks!

You should choose TUNCOM because I am on the waitlist for COMP-NW and I want to go to medical school on the west coast.

But really you should go to the school that you think you will be happiest at. You are going to be able to study the best at that school, and you will be score highest your boards. The rotations at TUNCOM and COMP-NW probably have the same quality rotations. Since ACOM is a new school, there is the possibility that the rotations will be a little bit rocky.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick COMP-NW or TUNCOM. Whichever one is closer to home or you're more comfortable with.

Yeah. I got waitlisted at ACOM, just found out today, so I will have to decide between TUNCOM and COMP-NW. I am from the east coast, so both are far for me, both there are great things about each school...

Yeah. I got waitlisted at ACOM, just found out today, so I will have to decide between TUNCOM and COMP-NW. I am from the east coast, so both are far for me, both there are great things about each school...

I think you are going to find there are more flights and cheaper flight from Vegas than from Portland. Just something to think about.

Yup, that was on my list :). It cost me close to 600 to fly to Portland and only about 230 to fly to Vegas for my interviews.

You should choose TUNCOM because I am on the waitlist for COMP-NW and I want to go to medical school on the west coast.

But really you should go to the school that you think you will be happiest at. You are going to be able to study the best at that school, and you will be score highest your boards. The rotations at TUNCOM and COMP-NW probably have the same quality rotations. Since ACOM is a new school, there is the possibility that the rotations will be a little bit rocky.

Hahahaha. I'll let you know what ends up happening!

I got waitlisted at ACOM actually, so just deciding between TUNCOM and COMP-NW now.

I can only speak for COMP-NW.

COMP-NW is 100 miles south of Portland in a sleepy village of Lebanon. Rent within walking distance from school is grossly overpriced due to poaching from realtors fully aware of influx of students every year. (1B 600, 2B 750+, 3B 1000ish) Rent within driving distance is affected by the proximity of major university (OSU) and 20+ thousand students needing some form of lodging.
Unles you are into outdoor stuff (as apparently most of NWesterners), there is nothing to do if you ever have time for yourself.
While I found that face to face classes and staff are incredible, do not forget that 1/2 the lectures at COMP-NW are streamed on line. I am sure you have read disturbing posts by the current students.

I know I am not helping, but you could solicit similar info (the bad stuff) about TUNCOM from current students to aid you in making the decision.

When you interviewed there, you have been shown all the good stuff. It is impressive. Now is the time to find some dirt, so you can make sound decision that will affect the rest of your natural life.

COMP-NW is 100 miles south of Portland in a sleepy village of Lebanon. Rent within walking distance from school is grossly overpriced due to poaching from realtors fully aware of influx of students every year. (1B 600, 2B 750+, 3B 1000ish) Rent within driving distance is affected by the proximity of major university (OSU) and 20+ thousand students needing some form of lodging.
Unles you are into outdoor stuff (as apparently most of NWesterners), there is nothing to do if you ever have time for yourself.
While I found that face to face classes and staff are incredible, do not forget that 1/2 the lectures at COMP-NW are streamed on line. I am sure you have read disturbing posts by the current students.

I know I am not helping, but you could solicit similar info (the bad stuff) about TUNCOM from current students to aid you in making the decision.

When you interviewed there, you have been shown all the good stuff. It is impressive. Now is the time to find some dirt, so you can make sound decision that will affect the rest of your natural life.

The rent is not overpriced but otherwise I agree. Overall COMP-NW has been great but it isn't without its warts and living in Lebanon may be one of them, depending on your personality.

Go where you think you'll get the best clinical education.

I come from NYC, so for me, housing at that pricing is a bargain!!! I pay 2800 for a 2br right now lol. On interview day, COMP-NW felt awesome! The facilities are incredible, and the faculty is great! But Lebanon is a big change in scenery from NYC.

Go where you think you'll get the best clinical education.

That's my major concern. COMP-NW just has it's first class out in rotations although they have had the Northwest Track through COMP for years now, and TUNCOM has been doing that for a bit, so I'm just going back and forth on it.

I am a little biased in my opinion, but I will try to keep this as neutral as possible :) if you think the 3rd and 4th year experience / potential networking with physicians in the area would be about the same at these institutions I would base my decision on these factors:
1) tuition and cost of living
2) pre clinical education
3) activities and hobbies that you can enjoy in the area
4) proximity to family

Personally, I made a pros and cons list of all the schools I considered applying to. If the overall was more positive than negative I applied. If it was mainly negative I didn't apply.

I took that same approach to filling out secondaries, interview invites, acceptances, etc.

Anyways gl! At the end of the day don't stress too much. Haha med school is going to be miserable regardless of where you go ;)

I come from NYC, so for me, housing at that pricing is a bargain!!! I pay 2800 for a 2br right now lol. On interview day, COMP-NW felt awesome! The facilities are incredible, and the faculty is great! But Lebanon is a big change in scenery from NYC.

Wow! I pay 550 for a 2br/2bath in southern TX. Completely different area of the country, but that's still crazy