This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CSmedlife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
<BLANK>

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Need clinical Volunteering other than shadowing. Once you get (100+ hours at the minimum) that I recommend making your school list a mix between top 30s and mid tier schools along with your state schools (Rutgers)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 3 NJ state public schools
Seton Hall
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
New York Medical College
Rochester
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Tulane
Cincinnati

Maybe try Stanford

Yes, you don't need to, but I believe it would tremendously valuable. And, I will probably work as a clinician for some time too.

Are you committed to becoming a physician? If so, get some clinical volunteering done ASAP. Based on this post, it seems like you are much more interested in programming and feel like medicine is a side-job or your second priority. This is a red flag to all medical schools, no matter how research-heavy or entrepreneurial-friendly they are. Medicine, specifically patient care, should be your first priority when you apply to med school and needs to be highlighted in your PS.

Once you have a strong amount of community service, I would recommend applying to Faha's list and then combined with your pick of a handful of T20s. Comp sci backgrounds are definitely unique and I can imagine you will be looked favorably upon.

Yes, I am. Becoming a physician was always on my mind, and now, I feel 100% sure of it. I will try to get more clinical experience, thanks for that advice. What else should I do to better my chances at T20s? I know schools don't matter at the end of the day, but it has always been a dream of mine to attend a T20 school.
Medical schools are ranked primarily based on their research. The top schools want a lot of researchers, publications, etc. or they want you to have a diverse story and background. You need a ton more clinical hours/volunteering with the underserved. With your computer science background they are going to want to make sure you’re committed to medicine through your experiences. I could see you getting in the T20 if you apply to a ton of them and craft very good essays framing yourself as a unique applicant that will add to the medical school class. But applying solely to t20 or expecting an acceptance is risky because lots of people with higher stats and better extracurriculars get rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.