COMP/Western Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey there CougarDO. Welcome! I graduated from UW Seattle myself. So I'm glad to have another Washingtonian along for the ride!

As far as locations go, it seems like most cities OUTSIDE of Pomona are actually ok, but as quality goes up, of course so will price. Expect to pay around $1000 for a 1-bd in the area (Claremont, Montclair, San Dimas, Diamond Bar, Chino Hills, even over to Ontario and Upland... I find Google maps is actually quite helpful when looking for a place :)).

Also, we've already got about 80 of us already signed up for a Facebook group. The link is http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7316677097. You have to log in with your westernu email address, but it's a good place to gather!

Anyway, look forward to seeing you in the fall!

Members don't see this ad.

After we submit the FAFSA, do we need to start applying for grad plus or other loans NOW to cover the rest of the cost of attendance? I am confused as to when I need to be searching for additional loans... Someone told me that I need to already have applied for the grad plus loan, but I can't find the link or application anywhere!!??

yeah, I have the exact same questions...anyone??? Also, is it true that when you're applying for the FAFSA as a graduate student, the expected family contribution is always 0?

Hey!

I just received a letter that let me know how to get on the banweb system, but I still cannot access my e-mail account. Do they send you your e-mail info separately?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I just received a letter that let me know how to get on the banweb system, but I still cannot access my e-mail account. Do they send you your e-mail info separately?

That same letter with the banweb instructions should also contain your email information in the first paragraph. If not, then call give the folks at the Help Desk a call at (909) 469-5432. Hope this helps ;)

EDIT: It actually is a separate letter specifically for your email address. The rest of the letter just refers to BanWeb and actually indicates that the BanWeb information will be e-mailed to your Western U email address. Sorry for mixing that up. I'll message you the instructions for getting on your email account

Only a month to go - I have a lot to do before moving. The list is long but I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

I received an email on Monday with my financial aid disbursments. No sure if they send all the award letters at the same time but if you have not recently checked your western.edu email you might want to go check it out.

where did our facebook group go?

In two weeks I start ISAC! Yikes! Pretty much packed up, familiarized with my new tablet PC and ready for my son to graduate from high school on Saturday, then we all pile into a van to make a drive from Oregon to Cali with some nice stops along the way.
Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hey DO2012!

For anyone out there interested in subletting an apt in the Helix this summer for ISAC or SMSPP I have two places available from friends that I'm posting here, you can just private message me. A little about the Helix, its the apt. complex literally across the street from Western. Very convenient during ISAC to just wake up and walk across the street to do your 4 hour anatomy labs everyday. Same goes for SMSPP, great way to meet potential classmates and 2nd,3rd,4th years already living in the Helix:

Helix Summer Sublet, June 17-August 2, 1 room available
$600 for the entire stay, fully furnished (just need bedsheets), with everything included (electricity, cable internet, cable television)

Helix Summer Sublet, June 17-July 31, 1 or 2 rooms available
$1000 for one room in an empty 2 bedroom at Helix . The other room will be empty the entire time. You also have the option to lease the place for 1 year or longer if you wish. Everything included (electricity, cable internet, cable television) and fully furnished with bed, desk, etc.

Hey there incoming DO 2012. Just wanted to say congrats on getting this far! And for those still waiting. Last year I was on their high waitlist, and got in little more then a month before school started. There's a girl in my class who got in a week before! So don't lose hope! :luck:

_____
http://stuffmedicalstudentslike.blogspot.com/

Hey there incoming DO 2012. Just wanted to say congrats on getting this far! And for those still waiting. Last year I was on their high waitlist, and got in little more then a month before school started. There's a girl in my class who got in a week before! So don't lose hope! :luck:

I second what Medinsane says.
She rocks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Western is my top choice. I interviewed very late in the cycle (early April) and was wait listed. I have updated my app and checked back with Western, but they said they will notify me anytime my file is reviewed again. Has anyone from the waitlist heard back from Western yet regarding their status? Has anyone been accepted from the waitlist? And have people been updated with a high, medium, or low priority? Thanks for your help and I'm looking forward to hearing back from Western (positively of course!). Best of luck to everyone.

Just finished my third day of ISAC. There are 24 of us and we jumped right in with both feet from the first minute!

Glad I chose to come to Western.

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to congratulate all who are part of COMP class of 2012. I'm a graduate from the class of 2005. Let me know if you have any burning questions about life during/after med school or residency (as I am finishing in 6 days...)
Also,for anyone interested, I have an OMM table that is in great condition (only used a few times) that I'm looking to sell. If interested, please let me know via post or private message. Thx,
Greg

Just finished my third day of ISAC. There are 24 of us and we jumped right in with both feet from the first minute!
Glad I chose to come to Western.

That's how it goes, even with the regular Anatomy class in the fall.

I've been around the building this summer, Archer, doing my research fellowship (auuuuughhhhh!!!!)

I'd like to meet all you ISACers!

heya class of 2012 -- CONGRATS! i am an OMSIII and live in claremont and highly recommend it. email me if you want more information about where i live -- there are openings in our apt complex all the time (2 bdrm = $1170/mo). also, i have an omm table i'd like to sell -- bought it for $250 and want to sell it for $100. it even comes in a carrying case and folds up for your convenience :) enjoy your summer!!

Ehhh... if I read your question right, you assume that western gives you a computer. That is incorrect.

If you want a tablet, you can buy a tablet.

You can increase your financial budget by $1800 to buy a computer for school, laptop, tablet or otherwise.

Hi, how to find a suitable notebook and pay less money?
For coming new student, how to save money on textbooks?

hi all. has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet? or has anyone been notified of their status? thanks for your help!

Hey

Does anyone know how to get to hollywood via metrolink/buses?

hey i know this is kinda late but does anyone need a roommate?

Does anyone want to give away or sell some extra tickets to the convocation, white coat ceremony, and the president's welcome luncheon? I would like to have enough tickets at least for my wife and parents to attend, but possibly more if there are tickets available. Message me if you are interested. Thanks.

hey i know this is kinda late but does anyone need a roommate?

07/23/08
My husband and I have just found the most amazing house in Claremont, but we need to split rent with two more roommates. (preferably a couple, but it's a 3 bd if 2 individuals need private rooms). $1100 for a couple in 1 room or $625 for one of the private rooms. Pets welcome! Email me more details: [email protected] or [email protected], or search my email address on craigslist
Pura vida!

can anyone comment on the insurance SOMA offers? (ie: if you have it, is it adequate)

So I got accepted in April... notified in June that they over accepted so I was planning on attending in the Fall of 2009... but they called me yesterday and offered me a seat. WHAT do I do.
Does anyone have any clue what surgical residencies look for. Would it be better to wait a year and get my masters. Too many decisions, too little time :)

Hello Western U COMP Classmates!

I just got a phone call yesterday moving me from the alternate list to having a seat in the class (Northwest Track). I am so excited about attending, but I am also WAY behind the ball! I have less than two weeks to get everything in order, and next week I will be a camp counselor at a cancer camp for children. So any help that anyone can provide would be wonderful. I was hoping that class of 2011 and 2010 students could help me with picking out a laptop. I want to know what works and what doesn't. I don't want to over or under do it in that department. Also, I will be moving down with my wife and our 4 month old daughter. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment within a reasonable distance of campus. If you are in an awesome complex and know of a open apartment, please let me know.

I also wanted to thank the 2010 and 2011 students who were part of the interview day. I feel absolutely confident about my choice of attending Western because of the impact you had on me.

I'll join the facebook group as soon as I get my Western email and all that jazz. Can't wait to start!!!

Hello Western U COMP Classmates!

I just got a phone call yesterday moving me from the alternate list to having a seat in the class (Northwest Track). I am so excited about attending, but I am also WAY behind the ball! I have less than two weeks to get everything in order, and next week I will be a camp counselor at a cancer camp for children. So any help that anyone can provide would be wonderful. I was hoping that class of 2011 and 2010 students could help me with picking out a laptop. I want to know what works and what doesn't. I don't want to over or under do it in that department. Also, I will be moving down with my wife and our 4 month old daughter. We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment within a reasonable distance of campus. If you are in an awesome complex and know of a open apartment, please let me know.

I also wanted to thank the 2010 and 2011 students who were part of the interview day. I feel absolutely confident about my choice of attending Western because of the impact you had on me.

I'll join the facebook group as soon as I get my Western email and all that jazz. Can't wait to start!!!

Congrats... I liked living at Missions in Chino Hills (that's the name of the complex). Very family oriented, gorgeous pool, playground, fresh cookies in the mornings, etc. And my favorite part, it was far enough from campus to be away from the ghetto Pomona area and looked like actual civilization but still took only 10 minutes to get to school with surface streets. It's definately on the expensive side, but very worth it compared to the what was available a couple years back. Good luck!

just got in off the COMP accepted-waitlist and looking for a roommate to share a 2-bedroom apt at The Crest (Phillips Ranch, Pomona - about 7 min drive to campus), or at Pine Club or Helix. i am a male, easy-going and looking for someone similar.

hey,
there's one room open in a house in claremont for rent ASAP. 500/mo. utilities shared btw three other people so about 550 total. two first year DO's and one western grad. i understand its about a 15 min drive from campus, locally.
PLEEEASE PM if interested! or know someone else who is!!!
thank you all!

for those of you on facebook, come join our group COMP 2012. Great place to meet your future classmates, search for housing/roommates etc. Just be sure to get on the Western Univ network on facebook first (using your Western U email address) and then click on request to join. And spread the word about the group!!! :)

Hi,

I found this 2 bedroom/2 bath place in Chino Hills... its really nice and close to everything. Its about 630 each. Not sure if anyone is still looking for housing or has a room available. I am 25 years, first year in the DO program, female. Email me at [email protected] for more info. See you all next wednesday.

The COMPanions list has been released!

(Each first year student is paired with a second year student to show 'em the ropes. That's your COMPanion. Get it?)

I wonder if mine is an SDN'er.

Hey guys, kinda off topic here, but my friend is applying to Western this year and was wondering if anyone knew what our average MCAT/GPA was this year for the 2012 matriculating class?

Hey guys, kinda off topic here, but my friend is applying to Western this year and was wondering if anyone knew what our average MCAT/GPA was this year for the 2012 matriculating class?

3.5 sci
3.6 overall
28 mcat

i think they said. it's only gonna get harder and harder!

Hey Class of 2012!

I interviewed on 9/11/08 and have been accepted for next year! I'm very excited. I wanted to thank those of you who offered encouragement and advice to us interviewees. You are a major reason why I
love Western U!

can any of you guys tell me more about research opportunities for DOs at western...

thanks!

can any of you guys tell me more about research opportunities for DOs at western...

thanks!

Hi COMP 2012, im from the c/o 2013. ive been reading up about whether or not to do research in medical school, with the concern of the overwhelming work load, and i also understand that if one was to go into a competitive residency, its probably a good idea. my main question is how do you guys feel about it at Western? was it managable? if you were to go it again, would you? or if you didnt do research, do you wish you did? any tips would help, thanks.

I know of some people who are working on research projects and making through the school year. Not only that during the summer between 1st and 2nd years there are a lot of opportunities. Contact the school and ask to speak to someone about research i'm sure you can get some more specific projects. GL

Hello All:)

I am currently living in a very nice, sweet house in Upland, CA (10-15 mins from Western Univ main campus in Pomona). The rent is very affordable and a great deal and the house is in a very safe and beautiful area. 3 bedroom house and the other 2 girls are from DO 2010 class (4th yr DO students) and I am thinking of moving out and need a replacement for this upcoming academic year (starting in August). Please email me at:
[email protected] if you are interested. Females only please. Thank you!