Compare NYC EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tux4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are aiming for NYC programs what are your thoughts on each place? Was thinking of this being just a comprehensive NYC EM thread.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just read the reviews thread. It is literally already broken down by state.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-mother-of-all-residency-reviews-stickies.769419/

Have gone through this before and searched the forum. Most have not been updated in years or don't give any useful information for NYC programs.

I posted this because there is no good comprehensive area for this information that is updated.

To others, Please post here if you have information, not opinions.

Reactions: 1 users
They're the same thing, dude. And this is a good way to get no one to help you.

Understood. I meant opinions on the creation of the thread. I just think more constructive posts would be beneficial than one liners from people who are bored.

What do you want to know?

I rotated there as a med student and have several close friends who are graduates of NYC programs.

Kings - Busy county program with very good pathology. Over 140K per year at main hospital. One of the few places in the country that still sees penetrating trauma on a regular basis. EM runs all traumas and does all procedures. One of the first places with a ED critical care unit that's run by several shock trauma trained faculty. Very large diverse class from all over the world. Work hard play hard type of residency.

Jacobi - Another busy county program with very good pathology. Split time between there and Montefiore which sees over 200K per year. One of the few hospitals in the city that still sees a significant amount of trauma. EM also runs traumas and does procedures. Strict graduated responsibility with senior residents assigning patients and procedures to junior residents. Again work hard play hard type of residency.

Sinai - Academic/county hybrid program. Sinai in Manhattan and Elmhurst in Queens. Multiple big names have come out of here including Scotty Weingart. Sinai more consult heavy with sick elderly population. Elmhurst less consult heavy with sick immigrant population. Great location right next to central park on the upper east side but long commute between both sites all 4 years. More lifestyle friendly compared to the previous 2 residencies.

This is in line with what I am looking for from current residents as well and from all of the nyc programs

Any opinions on Methodist, Maimonides, or Presbyterian Queens?

What about Hofstra LIJ/North Shore?

Maimo is a solid program. Patient population is diverse and sick, it is now a level 1 trauma, didactics are great, and residents seemed very into critical care and knew their stuff. Main issue is commuting there unless you plan to live close by. I also prefer programs with more than 1 hospital to switch things up, this program has one hospital.

Northwell is now a combo of 2 programs and I am kind of interested how that will be. You get to goto 2 great hospitals. One is level 1 trauma. There is a ton of opportunity for research if you are interested in that, the hospitals have a lot of funding. You can live in the city and reverse commute. Off-service appeared strong. Highest salary in country. Overall one of my favorite places that I saw.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYPQueens is a jewel. I work very closely with residents who go here and they have an incredible, young, motivated group of residents and attendings.

The pathology is there, the diversity of patients (culturally, socioneconomically) is there. The volume is heavy which makes for a good learnin enviornment. Run by a private group gives you knowledge of metrics that will matter when you are an attending. You run all the procedures in the ED, and get great experience.

I've interviewed and worked at almost all the programs in NYC (essentially) and I found some heavy on scut work (county programs) or heavy on consultations (big name Manhattan or LI ones)- NYPQ was the perfect middle for me. Also, best work/life balance in all NY ED programs except maybe St Lukes schedule wise.

Any thoughts on Brooklyn Hospital? Location is incredible, but it is one with a ton of scut work?

Any thoughts on Brooklyn Hospital? Location is incredible, but it is one with a ton of scut work?

When I went they were pretty open about how they have a lot of issues and their QI projects include things that have been standards in most other hospitals for years. In addition they are on probation because their PD and whole faculty left a couple years ago and one of their classes had a poor pass rate for boards. Besides that, the residents I met with seemed pretty content and spoke highly of it. They seem to get good training/exposure. They did complain of the ancillary services and you will get scut, as in many NYC programs. If you like the area and the residents try doing a second look to get a better feel.

Of all the places I interviewed - Brooklyn hospital gave me the worst vibes. Granted this was years ago, but they were on probation back then too! And during our time when we were supposed to mingle with the residents, the attendings kept snooping in. There was of course, no pre interview dinner either. I don't know of any other EM program that's been on probation recently. Given all the choices out there, I'd be very wary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about Maimonides?

Interviewed there. Thought it was alright, residents were nice, although don't think it was some of their first choice. They have one month of trauma at shock trauma in Maryland. seemed like a very diverse population with frequent use of interpreters. International rotation in the third year. Overall, seemed like a solid program.

How about Maimonides?

Program is run well (the now new PD of Brookdale built it up) and leadership now seemed good. Has solid research going on there, especially pain management. Residents are taught ED critical care pretty well. Very diverse population, in between chinese and orthodox jewish neighborhoods. Very crowded ED (3-4 beds deep to the wall). Didactics are strong. Strong Peds exposure. New level 1 trauma center.

Cons: inconvenient to get to unless you want to live in the area.

I only interviewed there but it seemed some of the residents didn't like having to use an Interpretor all the time and the bed layout really was 3-4 deep and as I walked through you'd see people clutching onto the residents and/or attending since they didn't want to wait longer. Interesting place but I wasn't set on NYC and it went lower on the list based on that impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read and heard that residents at SLR don't have a lot of autonomy and are "babied" more than residents at other programs in NYC. Is this true/false? Are SLR graduates ready for anything and everything when they leave? Do they get more than enough procedures? I really felt like I clicked with the program when I interviewed there, but I don't know if I should rank a more county style/"badass" program above SLR such as Downstate, Monte/Jacobi or Lincoln. Can anyone comment on this please?

SLR is well known to be the most chill program in NYC.

If you're interested in badass programs with tons of pathology and procedures you should probably look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're interested in badass programs with tons of pathology and procedures you should probably look elsewhere.

Many people would say SLRs acuity is on par or better than other Manhattan programs. Just look at the SLR residency review thread to see this. Some think that since there are mandatory breaks during shifts as an intern, that the residents are babied. Not true IMO.

SLR is well known to be the most chill program in NYC.

So as an actual SLR resident I can tell you that our acuity, particularly at Luke's, leaves nothing to be desired. Having friends at multiple programs in NY I can confidently say our path and quantity of procedures is just as "badass" as any in NY. We see plenty of critical care / micu bound patients. It's widely known that trauma isn't plentiful in NY but I've still seen quite a bit of penetrating trauma. I'm not sure what being babied as a resident entails but we have significant autonomy when it comes to both medical decision making and procedures. But honestly, what sold this place to me when I was matching was the people/ community more then anything else. Hope this helps clarify our program for everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
So as an actual SLR resident I can tell you that our acuity, particularly at Luke's, leaves nothing to be desired. Having friends at multiple programs in NY I can confidently say our path and quantity of procedures is just as "badass" as any in NY. We see plenty of critical care / micu bound patients. It's widely known that trauma isn't plentiful in NY but I've still seen quite a bit of penetrating trauma. I'm not sure what being babied as a resident entails but we have significant autonomy when it comes to both medical decision making and procedures. But honestly, what sold this place to me when I was matching was the people/ community more then anything else. Hope this helps clarify our program for everyone!

In that case I'm sure you'd be happy to share your procedure numbers for all the med students.

How many ED intubations/central lines/chest tubes did you do on your last EM month?

Brooklyn Hospital has been on probation for one reason or another since I was an applicant many years ago.

In that case I'm sure you'd be happy to share your procedure numbers for all the med students.

How many ED intubations/central lines/chest tubes did you do on your last EM month?

Im a 4th year and I have zeroooo chest tubes on a real person. Im going to have to count all my thoracentesis as "chest tubes" to bloody graduate.

Brooklyn Hospital has been on probation for one reason or another since I was an applicant many years ago.

This is basically what I was gonna say. Back when I interviewed there they were really giving off bad vibes except for their program director who seemed like the coolest guy in the world.

I ended up matching to the program that brooklyn's old program director jumped ship to join :laugh:. I can confirm he is the coolest doctor I've ever met and he is one of the handful of really shiny parts of my program that makes the hospital admin silliness worth it. And IDK what the selling point of brooklyn would be without him, except that it is in a really nice area if you want to watch the brooklyn nets play or jay z throw a concert.

Is this from a 4 yr program in NY?

Its a lot more common than you would think.

You'll never hear about it on the trail (residents usually aren't going to trash their own programs) but quite a few EM programs don't get enough procedures and end up having to use cadaver labs or simulation to meet their requirements for graduation. Its essentially the result of too many EM programs and not enough sick patients in many major cities.

This is basically what I was gonna say. Back when I interviewed there they were really giving off bad vibes except for their program director who seemed like the coolest guy in the world.

I ended up matching to the program that brooklyn's old program director jumped ship to join :laugh:. I can confirm he is the coolest doctor I've ever met and he is one of the handful of really shiny parts of my program that makes the hospital admin silliness worth it. And IDK what the selling point of brooklyn would be without him, except that it is in a really nice area if you want to watch the brooklyn nets play or jay z throw a concert.

I know they've hired a lot of new people over the last year since getting a new PD. My understanding from their residents though is that conference is still 100% resident taught and organized which is less than ideal. I've worked with residents and graduates from all over NYC and BKH residents have been a mixed bag (some excellent, some far below where you would expect them to be for their level of training). I would honestly probably pass on them at this point, until they are no longer on probation and have proved that they are going to be more dedicated to resident education.

As for SLR, I don't have much experience with them. I have a few friends that worked there as Attendings and they said that the patients are overall very low acuity and the residents don't see a lot of sick patients. That's an N of 2 so take it with a grain of salt.

Northwell is now a combo of 2 programs and I am kind of interested how that will be. You get to goto 2 great hospitals. One is level 1 trauma. There is a ton of opportunity for research if you are interested in that, the hospitals have a lot of funding. You can live in the city and reverse commute. Off-service appeared strong. Highest salary in country. Overall one of my favorite places that I saw.

Anyone else able to give some more insight into the Northwell program, overall, shift details, etc? Thanks!

Anyone have any opinions on how happy the residents at Sinai are? Loved the program but couldn't get a clear view of resident happiness.

Anyone else get a super awesome feel from Maimo on interview day? Seemed pretty similar to Downstate but with better ancillary staff. Not sure why it is not as desirable of a program. Seems like good acuity/critical care training, diverse patients and fun attendings/residents. I feel like the training can't be bad. Anyone care to comment why it is a less prestigious 3 year program?

Anyone able to comment on Sinai Beth Israel?

I've met the residents and the PD before and was told it's no longer going to be a residency program since the hospital is getting a major downsize. Don't remember seeing it on ERAS either, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Was told the other Sinai residencies will increase to fill those spots.

I've met the residents and the PD before and was told it's no longer going to be a residency program since the hospital is getting a major downsize. Don't remember seeing it on ERAS either, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Was told the other Sinai residencies will increase to fill those spots.

Wow, really? I haven't seen anything like this anywhere. That means one less 3-year program in the 5 boroughs, bummer.

Yeah they're basically going to make it a bunch of ambulatory clinics

Yeah, except will put even more pressure on the other downtown ERs.

In what way? I was thinking it was a good move for the Sinai system. Is the difference of one ED - with the proliferation of urgent care centers over the past few years - really going to squeeze NYC's emergency care providers?

In what way? I was thinking it was a good move for the Sinai system. Is the difference of one ED - with the proliferation of urgent care centers over the past few years - really going to squeeze NYC's emergency care providers?

Yes.

yes.