Compare vet school clinical training

Started by TAMAvet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TAMAvet

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone. Can you help me compare schools in regard to the actual amount of clinical training, specifically in the last two years? Missuori claims their program is unique: the third and fourth years are completely clinical. Do other programs combine clinical training with classroom time in the third and fourth years?
 
Currently, Ohio State has both the fall and winter quarter of third year still mostly classroom, with clinics beginning spring quarter (end of march-ish) third year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Michigan State spends 2.5 years in the classroom and then starts clinicals in the spring semester of 3rd year. They boast:
"The College of Veterinary Medicine has the longest clinical training phase of any veterinary curriculum in North America, providing students with greater clinical experience and the ability to increase their focus on a particular clinical area."*


*http://msu.edu/about/rankings-and-recognitions/distinctions/veterinary-medicine.html
 
I am not sure that that is correct. MIZZOU has a clinical training of 2 years.

"One is the unique clinical curriculum. The curriculum in the last two years requires six continuous weeks in each of seven clinical specialties." So I think several schools have a 2 +2 teaching curriculum. I am not sure why Michigan would say that.... But I feel like you would get a good education with any school.
http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/about.htm
I believe it is because there are other courses during the first 2.5 years that involve clinical experience.
 
Western boasts the same thing. 🙂

Everyone wants to make their curriculum sound the best, that's pretty much expected. I agree that you would get a great education at any school in the U.S. (and lots of schools outside the U.S. too)!
 
Yeah I think everyone says that. CSU has something similar on their website but we start clinicals fall semester of third year. We take a limited number of classes in the morning and are in clinics aLl afternoon.
 
Yeah I think everyone says that. CSU has something similar on their website but we start clinicals fall semester of third year. We take a limited number of classes in the morning and are in clinics aLl afternoon.

I see you weren't riveted by the water quality lecture... you'll be sorry when you decide to set up an aquarium and all your fish die because your water wasn't hard enough