Comparing a military residency to a civilian residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmontana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any person who has done a military residency set down a small list of "likes" and "dislikes" about their residency experience. Perhapse give a comparison between a military and a civilian residency.
I'm mostly interested in the locations, time comitment required, and general feelings about how well the programs were run. Also if the residency is treated as a sign on bonus or if you have to apply to the residency after you already sign up for service. I would like to do a residency eventually leading to critical care pharmacy. I've mostly been concidering the Air Force or the Army. Any personal experience would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There are not a lot of people that are willing to do one of these residencies... I am one of them - but I am not there yet. I can answer some of your questions though.

Locations:

Depends on which service you are interested in - the PHS (IHS specifically) has the most residency slots - followed by the Army. The Navy has several sites - and the AF has a few as well. Marine Corps has none (as it is a depart of the Navy). Specify what service you are interested in, and we can give you more specific info about locations.

Time Commitment:

Depends on whether or not you are going active duty or civilian side (As civilians are also allowed to completed military residencies). If you decide to go civilian - you have no more time commitment beyond the end of your residency. If you go active duty, you will have to receive a commission. The lengths of commission vary by service - generally 3 years is the minimum, with a 7 year max if you take all of the available incentives.

Yes, residency is treated as a sign on bonus - bumping the minimum service commission up from 3 years to 4 (because you are not dealing a whole lot of grunt work during your 1 yr of residency). It can however be combined with other incentives (which also add more time to your service requirement).

I have a REALLY good PDF that breaks down Army pharmacy programs if you want it - A current forum member that is a badass Capt hooked me up with it. PM me with your email addy if you are interested.

Since I have now found this information in an easily located spot - It is reasonable for it to be posted here:

United States Army Pharmacy Financial Assistance, Incentive and Educational/Training Programs

Health Professional Loan Repayment Program:
The Health Professions Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) for active-duty officers provided a maximum repayment of $120,000 (in fiscal year 2009) of educational loans for pharmacists who completed a doctorate degree in pharmacy. Payment is made in increments (less federal tax) annually for each year of your active-duty commitment. Example: $120,000 paid annually over 3 years as $40,000. The loan repayment amount is indexed annually; therefore the maximum loan amount is subject to change. If pharmacist has loans in excess of $90,000 and are funds available, he/she can request an additional $40,000 for loan repayment. Upon approval, the officer would incur one additional year of obligation for a total of four years. The Loan Repayment benefit cannot be combined with the Accession Bonus.

Pharmacists Accession Bonus:
Become a pharmacy officer in the Medical Service Corps and you will receive a $30,651 bonus (less federal tax) just for signing up. In order to qualify for this program, you must:
• Have completed either a bachelor’s or doctorate degree in pharmacy
• Be qualified to become and remain licensed or registered with a current license to practice as a pharmacist in the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or a U.S. territory within one year of entry into active duty.

This bonus is paid for a four-year contract only and is paid in a lump sum at your first duty station. The Accession Bonus cannot be combined with the HPLRP benefit.

Pharmacy Practice Residency Programs:
If you’re pursuing a future as a pharmacist, this program will provide you with 12 months of essential training at Walter Reed Army Medical in Washington, D.C.; Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii; Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Washington; or Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas. To qualify, you must:
• Be younger than 46-½ years of age

The active-duty service obligation is 48 months, including the residency. If combined with the Accession Bonus or with the HPLRP benefit the active-duty service obligation will increase.

Specialty Pharmacy Residency Programs:
Specialty pharmacy residency programs in Oncology and Nuclear Medicine are offered at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. To qualify, you must:
• Have completed a pharmacy practice residency prior to initiating training in a specialty area

Pharmacy Officer Special Pay:
This program is available for active-duty officers. Payments are $15,000 (less federal tax) annually. Officers in a residency program are not eligible for special pay. The active-duty service obligation of 2 years is served concurrently with other service obligations. New accessions qualify and do not incur any additional obligation during their initial active duty service obligation.

Non-Physician Health Care Provider (NPHCP) Board Certification Pay (BCP):
This program is available to Pharmacists having a post-baccalaureate degree in their specialty and current board certification in pharmacy. The bonus ranges between $2,000 and $5,000 (less federal tax). To qualify, you must:
• Have a post-baccalaureate degree in your respective specialty
• Have been awarded board certification in your clinical specialty
• Have current board certification

The active-duty service obligation of 2 years is served concurrently with other service obligations. New accessions qualify and do not incur any additional obligation during their initial active duty service obligation.

For more specific information on eligibility and requirements, see your local Army Health Care Recruiter. To find a recruiter near you enter the following link on your web browser: http://goarmy.com/contact/find_a_recruiter.jsp?hmref=cs

Applicants who have earned a bachelor’s degree will be commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. If you have a doctorate degree, you will be commissioned as a Captain.

Useful website:
http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=313

Table of Incentives and Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO)

Accession
Incentives ADSO Period
Accession with No Incentives = 3 years
Accession with 1, 2, or 3 years of loan repayment = 3 years
Accession with 4 years of loan repayment (if approved by USAREC for $120,000 loan amount) = 4 years
Accession with residency = 4 years
Accession with Accession Bonus = 4 years
Accession with residency and 1 year of loan repayment = 4 years
Accession with residency and 2 years of loan repayment = 5 years
Accession with residency and 3 years of loan repayment = 6 years
Accession with residency and 4 years of loan repayment (if approved by USAREC for $120,000 loan amount) = 7 years
Accession with residency and Accession Bonus = 7 years

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to do a residency eventually leading to critical care pharmacy.

If you want to do a critical care residency, then the military is not the best way of accomplishing that goal. The military will put you in a residency to serve their purposes if the residency is available. Plus, the military doesn't have a PGY2 residency for critical care if I recall correctly. You are better off doing it on the outside and then coming into the military. There are quite a few positions available at the MEDCENS in the army for critical care pharmacists.

This is really OT, but what is the benefit of taking a 2 year HPSP as opposed to the loan repayment (both for a 3 year service)? All I can think of is the monthly stipend that they give you.

This is really OT, but what is the benefit of taking a 2 year HPSP as opposed to the loan repayment (both for a 3 year service)? All I can think of is the monthly stipend that they give you.

I would of taken the 2 year HPSP if I could of gotten it. I believe the program your referring to is the Navy, if they still offer it. The AF offers 3 years of HPSP, but it is HIGHLY competitive. They pay for all of your tuition (no matter where you are going), books and a stipend. With loan repayment, you only get a set amount that you can only use towards your loans. (You will never see the money because the military sends the check to your lender) Yeah, you will have to pay back one years worth of student loans with HPSP but honestly, it is the absolute best deal out there. If you are really interested in military, the AF HPSP is the way to go.

I would of taken the 2 year HPSP if I could of gotten it. I believe the program your referring to is the Navy, if they still offer it. The AF offers 3 years of HPSP, but it is HIGHLY competitive. They pay for all of your tuition (no matter where you are going), books and a stipend. With loan repayment, you only get a set amount that you can only use towards your loans. (You will never see the money because the military sends the check to your lender) Yeah, you will have to pay back one years worth of student loans with HPSP but honestly, it is the absolute best deal out there. If you are really interested in military, the AF HPSP is the way to go.

Yeah I figured the HPSP is the way to go. I am looking at the AF HPSP and talked with a recruiter recently, although she says the max is 2 years of scholarship. I still have my p1 year to think about it but more and more I'm thinking of applying and trying to get all of the research done before I make my final decision. Thanks.

Yeah I figured the HPSP is the way to go. I am looking at the AF HPSP and talked with a recruiter recently, although she says the max is 2 years of scholarship. I still have my p1 year to think about it but more and more I'm thinking of applying and trying to get all of the research done before I make my final decision. Thanks.

QFT...it is 2 years...I am applying for it now.

That is some great information, thank you all. I think critical care specialty (PGY2) residency will be much easier to get into on the civilian side. I had a difficult time finding out which PGY2 residencies were offered through the military. Mostly all I could find out was focused on the PGY1 residency. Once again, thank you to all for the information.

Hello fellow SDNers. Currently, I'm in the 2nd year of college ROTC and leaning towards pharmacy after close and careful consideration of the medical specialties currently in existence. However, I have a couple of questions.

Are military residencies more strenuous and harrowing than their civilian counterparts?

Is being a military pharmacist more rewarding than doing retail or clinical pharmacy in the civilian sector?
(as in the military you do a little of both depending on your qualifications)

Will there be a massive influx of civilian pharmacists looking for jobs in the armed forces in the future due to the capping of new pharmacies opening, providing Obama's healthcare plan does not go as planned?

Are military residencies more strenuous and harrowing than their civilian counterparts?

no

Is being a military pharmacist more rewarding than doing retail or clinical pharmacy in the civilian sector?
(as in the military you do a little of both depending on your qualifications)

it all depends on what you find rewarding. There are many career options in the Army, including doing something retail like or clinical.

Will there be a massive influx of civilian pharmacists looking for jobs in the armed forces in the future due to the capping of new pharmacies opening, providing Obama's healthcare plan does not go as planned?

I highly doubt it. And even if there was, there are always pharmacists leaving the military.

Since I have now found this information in an easily located spot - It is reasonable for it to be posted here:

United States Army Pharmacy Financial Assistance, Incentive and Educational/Training Programs

Health Professional Loan Repayment Program:
The Health Professions Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) for active-duty officers provided a maximum repayment of $120,000 (in fiscal year 2009) of educational loans for pharmacists who completed a doctorate degree in pharmacy. Payment is made in increments (less federal tax) annually for each year of your active-duty commitment. Example: $120,000 paid annually over 3 years as $40,000. The loan repayment amount is indexed annually; therefore the maximum loan amount is subject to change. If pharmacist has loans in excess of $90,000 and are funds available, he/she can request an additional $40,000 for loan repayment. Upon approval, the officer would incur one additional year of obligation for a total of four years. The Loan Repayment benefit cannot be combined with the Accession Bonus.

Pharmacists Accession Bonus:
Become a pharmacy officer in the Medical Service Corps and you will receive a $30,651 bonus (less federal tax) just for signing up. In order to qualify for this program, you must:
• Be qualified to become and remain licensed or registered with a current license to practice as a pharmacist in the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or a U.S. territory within one year of entry into active duty.

This bonus is paid for a four-year contract only and is paid in a lump sum at your first duty station. The Accession Bonus cannot be combined with the HPLRP benefit.

Pharmacy Practice Residency Programs:
If you’re pursuing a future as a pharmacist, this program will provide you with 12 months of essential training at Walter Reed Army Medical in Washington, D.C.; Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii; Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Washington; or Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas. To qualify, you must:

The active-duty service obligation is 48 months, including the residency. If combined with the Accession Bonus or with the HPLRP benefit the active-duty service obligation will increase.

Specialty Pharmacy Residency Programs:
Specialty pharmacy residency programs in Oncology and Nuclear Medicine are offered at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C. To qualify, you must:
• Have completed a pharmacy practice residency prior to initiating training in a specialty area

Pharmacy Officer Special Pay:
This program is available for active-duty officers. Payments are $15,000 (less federal tax) annually. Officers in a residency program are not eligible for special pay. The active-duty service obligation of 2 years is served concurrently with other service obligations. New accessions qualify and do not incur any additional obligation during their initial active duty service obligation.

Non-Physician Health Care Provider (NPHCP) Board Certification Pay (BCP):
This program is available to Pharmacists having a post-baccalaureate degree in their specialty and current board certification in pharmacy. The bonus ranges between $2,000 and $5,000 (less federal tax). To qualify, you must:
• Have a post-baccalaureate degree in your respective specialty
• Have been awarded board certification in your clinical specialty
• Have current board certification

The active-duty service obligation of 2 years is served concurrently with other service obligations. New accessions qualify and do not incur any additional obligation during their initial active duty service obligation.

For more specific information on eligibility and requirements, see your local Army Health Care Recruiter. To find a recruiter near you enter the following link on your web browser: http://goarmy.com/contact/find_a_recruiter.jsp?hmref=cs

Applicants who have earned a bachelor’s degree will be commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. If you have a doctorate degree, you will be commissioned as a Captain.

Useful website:
http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=313

Table of Incentives and Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO)

Accession
Incentives ADSO Period
Accession with No Incentives = 3 years
Accession with 1, 2, or 3 years of loan repayment = 3 years
Accession with 4 years of loan repayment (if approved by USAREC for $120,000 loan amount) = 4 years
Accession with residency = 4 years
Accession with Accession Bonus = 4 years
Accession with residency and 1 year of loan repayment = 4 years
Accession with residency and 2 years of loan repayment = 5 years
Accession with residency and 3 years of loan repayment = 6 years
Accession with residency and 4 years of loan repayment (if approved by USAREC for $120,000 loan amount) = 7 years
Accession with residency and Accession Bonus = 7 years

Anyone reading the above post, please note that the above criteria is for PHARMACISTS...not physicians. It is different for physicians and can vary according to specialty.