1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Comparison between different Australian schools

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by shan564, May 8, 2008.

1. shan564

shan564 Below the fray
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Now that it's about time for offers to start coming out, it seems that many of us will have some decisions to make. Honestly, it's hard for me to tell what the major differences are between the different schools, so I thought I'd ask for the opinions of current students.

Are there any points (positive or negative) that differentiate any one school from the rest?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.Millisevert

Dr.Millisevert Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Which schools have you applied to?

4. Coccinelle

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am going to hijack this thread for a second and ask about Flinders vs. UQ. Thanks! :)

5. Dr.Millisevert

Dr.Millisevert Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I would go with Flinders over UQ hands down. Simply because of the student teacher ratio. You're more likely to get more individual attention and guidance at Flinders.

6. shan564

shan564 Below the fray
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Any other reasons? Personally, I don't like individual attention... I like it when my professors don't know their students are. That way, I can decide between standing out and fading into oblivion. For some reason, professors either love me or hate me... in a big class, a professor won't know me well enough to hate me, but they might know me well enough to like me.

7. liquid_krystale

7+ Year Member

I would choose a school like Flinders/Melbourne over UQ because:

-Smaller class size-->more individualized attention-->more mentorship opportunities ad opportunities to develop a close-knit network of peers/friends

-Not sure, but I think tuition is cheaper

-Many Aussies I've talked to say that Melbourne is THE city to go to if you want a great Australian experience (culture/scenery/nightlife)

-Adelaide has a cheaper cost of living

-Flinders has a good USMLE prep program for those who want the option of going to the US

Please add other reasons for and against!

8. JoeNamaMD

JoeNamaMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

If you had to evaluate a school based on international reputation, Sydney and Melbourne both are probably the best research schools in Australia. I have met graduates from both programs who are on the faculty of some top level US medical schools(There are Sydney grads at Hopkins, Columbia, UPenn, etc.). UWa is also of high stature because of Robin Warren who won a Nobel Prize.

Brisbane is hot and boring, and its not cheap anymore. Rent there is higher than even Sydney and Melbourne.

Flinders also has a very good reputation with North Americans. Adelaide though is boring. Melbourne and Sydney are the only cosmopolitan cities in Australia. Interestingly, both cities were listed on Forbes magazine's list of most fashionable world cities. Sydney and Melbourne are as cool as London, New York, and Paris, according to Forbes.

9. leilad

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Having above cut-off scores for both GPA and MCAT (32T), at which school would my application stand a better chance? Reason I'm asking is because ACER only lets you apply to 2 schools, one-at-a-time (at least that's what I've heard, can anyone confirm this?). I need to know which school would be "easier" in terms of admissions. Thank you.

#8 leilad, May 9, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  10. rugbyMD

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys what about ANU or Monash??? Does anyone have an experience or knowledge on these schools?

Does anyone know which schools are approved in Canada...as in you are able to get the professional line of credit? AND have the option of returning to match in CaRMS???

THANKS!

11. liquid_krystale

7+ Year Member

This might be redundant for you, but if you haven't already, look into the websites for various schools and see if you can apply directly or through organizations like Australearn.

I am applying to a few schools and I did it so that I only had to apply through ACER to one of them, thereby maximizing my interview chances at each.

12. shan564

shan564 Below the fray
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You should apply directly to ANU, Flinders, and Melbourne; it's probably too late for UQ and Wollongong, but you can try. If you don't mind sharing your GPA and your MCAT/GAMSAT score, we can give you a better idea of which schools have a friendly admissions policy.

13. Live4Life

Live4Life Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How do you apply directly to ANU?

14. shan564

shan564 Below the fray
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    There are details on the "international students" page of their med school website.

15. neulite

neulite Graduate Student (GRII)
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I searched as well on the ANU site and they say to lodge an application with the ANU admissions department but when you go there there isn't an option for the MBBS program and no results are returned in the program search. I emailed them. Good find though Shan.

16. shan564

shan564 Below the fray
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Let us know when you find out about the details...

17. JoeNamaMD

JoeNamaMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

I guess most locals are ******s, Sydney IS the place if you want the most interesting Aussie experience.

18. liquid_krystale

7+ Year Member

Hm...I'm sure that comment will go down smooth with the Aussies. Ouch, no offence but I'm staying away from statements like those.

Regardless of where I'm going for school, I am looking at the quality of education . The fact that a city might be 'boring' won't phase me as much as some because I'm more concerned with the people I have the privilege of studying with and the knowledge and skills the school will impart on me.

In fact, being boring might just be an advantage as I'll be spending more time on studying and less on partying. =)

19. giantaxon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

#18 giantaxon, May 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  20. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would venture that you get more of the "real" Australian experience by NOT being in places like Sydney and Melbourne.

They are wonderful, world class cities, no doubt, but I met a lot more Americans, British, other Europeans, etc. in those cities than I ever did in Adelaide. I had MUCH more interaction with Aboriginals in Adelaide and the NT, than I ever did in other areas of the country. If they aren't real Australians, I don't know who is.

While Adelaide certainly isn't as exciting as those cities, like "exciting" cities in the US, they come with their own hassles - more expensive, more traffic, more touristy (along with the attempts to rip off tourists [my parents had several places run their card twice, add in "tips" without notification, etc. while in Sydney..and my mum is Aussie]). You can always visit those places during break.