Comparison of Cork versus Dublin city?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwantajob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if any Irish residents could provide us North Americans with information and a comparison of the different cities?

The factors I'm interested in include crime (which cities do you feel more safe in?), average housing/rental costs (it seems to me its cheaper in Cork than Dublin but I could be wrong), racial demographics, transportation (are there less buses in certain cities?), general friendliness of the people, scenery (I've seen pictures of Cork and that city is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen...but then again there are beautiful pics of my hometown and I know its really not that great because of the overcrowding), population density (is it more crowded in certain areas?).

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I was wondering if any Irish residents could provide us North Americans with information and a comparison of the different cities?

The factors I'm interested in include crime (which cities do you feel more safe in?), average housing/rental costs (it seems to me its cheaper in Cork than Dublin but I could be wrong), racial demographics, transportation (are there less buses in certain cities?), general friendliness of the people, scenery (I've seen pictures of Cork and that city is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen...but then again there are beautiful pics of my hometown and I know its really not that great because of the overcrowding), population density (is it more crowded in certain areas?).

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Cork is a smaller city and has less crime and fewer buses (but less need for buses). Most of us either walked to the hospitals, used the buses (there are buses that go from the areas around the universities to the major hospitals where you will be working) or bought bicycles. Rent is lower in Cork. Cork is a very liveable city with a very nice market on the Grand Parade and a good library system. There are also good pubs with lots of live music, and an opera house that puts on a variety of shows each year, some opera, some popular music, some comedy, some live theatre. Personally I would pick Cork over Dublin simply because it is easier to get around without a car and a lot cheaper. Dublin has more going on culturally, but you can always visit for a weekend if you want to see a show or go to a concert. Check out Clarendon Medical on Clarendon Street in Dublin for medical text books though and for tuning forks and reflex hammers. Hoggis Figgis on Henry Street used to be good as well but it might not be now.
In terms of cultural mix, both cities were pretty white when I left. Dublin is probably a little more racially diverse simply because 1/4 of the population of the country lives ther, but Cork has a good cultural mix as well. There were lots of Eastern Europeans there when I left, and a fair number of Indians, Pakistanis, Malaysians and Chinese. The international student population at UCC is approximately 10% of the student body, and about 50% of the medical school.
Cheers,
M

Thanks so much for the information! I really appreciate it! When I started this whole thing I had Trinity as my first choice only because it has the cheapest tuition at only 30,000 Euros, but now I'm leaning more towards Cork because the city looks so fabulous right out of a storybook and its safer which is a priority for me. If the living expenses are cheaper, it all might end up evening out in terms of finances in the end but I'd probably be happier in Cork because I've seen 360 degree pictures for the Dorms in Trinity and it looks like a closet. I'm claustrophobic and I would die there.

From your experience, where do you recommend is a good place to stay in terms of accomodation? (Dorms? rented home?). What mode of transportation did you use to travel from the airport to Cork city once you arrived? Thanks!

Last edited: