Comparison of the DR programs in Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CavsFan2016

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone can give me an un-biased opinion on some of the bigger DR programs located in Ohio (Cincy, OSU, CCF, Case/UH), I would really appreciate it! With everything being virtual this year, its been difficult to compare/contrast each program. Feel free to share on here, or PM me if you would like.

Thank you
 
My biased opinion, based largely on what I perceive is the quality of the training. There may be other factors that influence you, like location or city but I leave that up to you. Personally I dig all three C's as cities and hold them on relatively equal ground lifestyle wise. I interviewed at CCF, UH, and OSU back in the day (being a good Ohioan after all; I matched in 2014 FYI). I didn't apply to Cinci (still bitter for getting waitlisted by them for med school because of that supremely dumb Multiple Mini Interview BS they subjected me to which I clearly bombed)

Cleveland Clinic is the best program in Ohio overall. It has the best academics, pathology, and volume. That said, it lacks a lot of bread butter (like trauma and simple/fun ED stuff). Every patient has a chemo-resistant metastatic pleomorphic de-differentiated lipofibromyomyelosarcoma and no one has appendicitis, if you get my drift. But it's a pretty cool place and looks like a neato place to train. Had I wanted to stay in Ohio I would've wanted to go there.

Ohio State seemed nice when I interviewed there a while ago. A solid program with good training and good pathology. OSU and University Hospitals probably same tier, and not as good as CCF as far as "academics" and "fanciness" go. I don't know much about Cinci's program, but my gut says it's a notch below OSU and UH (guys I knew applying to rads in Ohio seemed to prefer OSU over Cinci, for example).