Comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hookaman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post-residency, why is radiology considered a "lifestyle" field when comparing to something like GI? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Because people don't know what they are talking about.

f_w said:
Because people don't know what they are talking about.

Also, because the information they have is outdated. Radiology has become much busier in recent years.

Members don't see this ad :)
But you have to admit, not having to deal with patient care is a huge plus. It may not be lifestyle in the sense that derm is, but it's still a lot more pain free than patient care specialties.

Plus, you don't have to stick tubes up old peoples butts all day long, unless of course that's what you enjoy ;)

Also, because the information they have is outdated. Radiology has become much busier in recent years.

And the need for 24hr coverage. ED docs start to cry if they don't get that headCT on granny who tipped over the 22nd time this year read in less than 30minutes.

Plus, you don't have to stick tubes up old peoples butts all day long, unless of course that's what you enjoy

While I don't enjoy it, I do stick tubes old peoples butts every once in a while. It is called 'failed colonoscopy' and at this point it is pretty much the only indication for a barium enema.

(When I read that post, it was 6:30pm and I still had 20boards worth of screening mammos and a handful of CTs to go through. Lifestyle my a$$ was the thought that crossed my mind in that moment.)

I agree, the "lifestyle" reputation is outdated. Radiologists (at least in the private sector) work fairly long hours. And it's going to get more strenuous to protect our market (in my eyes). But I'm all for it