Compartment Syndrome and Regional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secoy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long do you wait after an extremity fracture before you are willing to do a peripheral nerve block. I remember from residency waiting 7 days after fresh fractures to reduce the chance of compartment syndrome occuring. Just wondering how long everyone else waits.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How long do you wait after an extremity fracture before you are willing to do a peripheral nerve block. I remember from residency waiting 7 days after fresh fractures to reduce the chance of compartment syndrome occuring. Just wondering how long everyone else waits.

depends on the fracture. Usually have a discussion with the orthopod and ask if they are concerned about it in this patient and if I should avoid a block.

Members don't see this ad :)

It doesn't enter into my decision. I've asked this question of many of the experts in regional and have largely adopted my position based on their views. At the same time I don't block patients if the orthopedist is set against it--but they get to manage the patient's pain in that case.

Curious to hear what others do?

im convinced its a myth, but the reasoning that a patient may not report pain as early as they would without a block seems sound. ultimately i dont care unless its someone i dont want to put to sleep, usually for a lower extremity injury.