Compedium of surgical volume in ophtho residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacol90

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a resident in any of the following programs, please post - how much surgical volume/ hands-on experience you get at your institution and in which sub-specialty (glaucoma vs retinal vs neuro-ophth vs peds etc). Thanks.

1. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at the University of Miami
2. Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital
3. Wills Eye Hospital
4. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Massachusetts General Hospital
5. Jules Stein Eye Institute, UCLA Medical Center
6. Duke University Medical Center
7. Cleveland Clinic
8. Alleghany General Hospital, Pittsburgh
9. New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, N.Y.
10. Mount Sinai, NY
11. Tufts University MC, Boston
12. BUMC, Boston
13. Emory Hospital, Atlanta, GA
14. Baylor University MC, Houston
15. Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University
16. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
17. NY Presbytarian
18. Albany Medical Center
19. Baylor University Medical Center
20. UMDNJ
21. NYMC, Valahalla

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. I have some feedback on one of the schools in a PM. Please feel free to PM me if you do not wish to post on-line. Thanks.

Bump. I have some feedback on one of the schools in a PM. Please feel free to PM me if you do not wish to post on-line. Thanks.

Can you anonymously post what ppl are PMing you? That's what I did with the 2013 match list and worked well for everyone to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just pull these names out of a hat? Alleghany in Pittsburgh does not have an ophtho residency program. You completely left out all Chicago programs and California programs. What's your reason for this anonymous survey?

If you are a resident in any of the following programs, please post - how much surgical volume/ hands-on experience you get at your institution and in which sub-specialty (glaucoma vs retinal vs neuro-ophth vs peds etc). Thanks.

3. Wills Eye Hospital
7. Cleveland Clinic
10. Mount Sinai, NY
12. BUMC, Boston
17. NY Presbytarian
20. UMDNJ
21. NYMC, Valahalla

Thanks for your input.

Alleghany appears on page 2 of US News listing of top Ophtho hospitals. I thought Alleghany/Pittsburgh was the name of the Optho program at UPitt? I guess not.

I am not interested in schools west of Ohio which is why I didn't list Chicago or UCLA. Also, I didn't ask for this to be an anonymous survey. However, if people prefer not to post on this thread, they may PM me. I am fine either way.

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/ophthalmology?page=2

Last edited:
Alleghany appears on page 2 of US News listing of top Ophtho hospitals. I thought Alleghany/Pittsburgh was the name of the Optho program at UPitt? I guess not.

I am not interested in schools west of Ohio which is why I didn't list Chicago or UCLA. Also, I didn't ask for this to be an anonymous survey. However, if people prefer not to post on this thread, they may PM me. I am fine either way.

it's affiliated with Drexel and Temple (even though it's not in Philly)

That list refers to ophthalmology HOSPITALS not residency programs strictly. If you expect people to give you all this info, you should at least do your research first ;)

As far as I can see, there is only one Alleghany/Pittsburgh hospital from the above list of 21 programs that is not a teaching hospital. Point taken. But all the others ARE Ophtho residency programs. Perhaps there aren't too many SDN readers that have experience with the listed programs, which is why no one is posting. I have only had one response in PM so far.

You need to be more specific with your questions. "Hands-on" experience in neuro-ophth? Like what? Drawing Goldmann visual fields? No one has time to post entire laundry lists.

3. Wills Eye Hospital
7. Cleveland Clinic
10. Mount Sinai, NY
12. BUMC, Boston
17. NY Presbytarian
20. UMDNJ
21. NYMC, Valahalla

Thanks for your input.

An Ophthalmology fellow PM'ed me stating that fellows rather than residents would have a better idea regarding the surgical volume in programs.

So, if there are any fellows, Attendings, and PDs - please provide input. Thank you.

You may be better served finding these numbers out during a residency interview. Surgical numbers can change quickly and what was true 3-4 years ago may not be true now. However, rule of thumb is that the more programs there are in city or area, the less likelihood of having high surgical numbers. Keep in mind though that surgical numbers can be manipulated, depending on how the case is entered, and may not be wholly accurate. In addition, higher surgical numbers do not necessarily equate to better surgical training.