Compelling reason to transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica37

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate if anybody can give any input or share any experiences they have had with transferring. I am a MSI and am hoping to transfer after taking the USMLE Step 1 after year 2. I go to a top 40 school in a mid-size town, and my significant other (of 4 years) has just been transferred for his job to a town almost 5 hours away from me. Previously, we've always been within at least 2.5 hours from each other when he was in school and then later with his job. I know that everybody says that if it's meant to be, it'll work out. However, we've done the long distance thing for 4 years already. He's tried looking for jobs in my area, but the town is not very large and he has not had much luck with the slumped job market. Plus, the job he is currently at is great...he has a huge potential for growth and plans on staying with the company for a long time. SO...is this a compelling reason to transfer...to be with my s.o.? We plan on getting married if I am able to transfer. I know that he is the right one for me...it's just a matter of making everything work out. Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...usually, when I hear of med students transferring, it's because of a spousal change-of-job - and even then, usually only if the spouse is in healthcare or something medically-related. You could try talking to adcoms, or student-affairs type people from the med school, to see what their point of view is?

I think that you will need to either be engaged or married for that to be a valid reason for transfer. I agree with the previous poster, there should be no harm in asking. Med school administrators are human, and I've heard of them making exceptions for different reasons.