Compensation for doing Obstetrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Approximately how much are FP doctors compensated per delivery if we choose to do obstetrics for our patients? I like the idea of providing comprehensive care to my patients, but only if the dollars make it worthwhile to be on call and assume the legal responsibility.

It is my understanding that malpractice fees are roughly $10k/yr in FP. How much does it increase to if we deliver babies in a large department that has other obstetricians in case things become complicated (assuming 2-3 deliveries/week?)??

Thanks for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Mike59 said:
Approximately how much are FP doctors compensated per delivery if we choose to do obstetrics for our patients? I like the idea of providing comprehensive care to my patients, but only if the dollars make it worthwhile to be on call and assume the legal responsibility.

It is my understanding that malpractice fees are roughly $10k/yr in FP. How much does it increase to if we deliver babies in a large department that has other obstetricians in case things become complicated (assuming 2-3 deliveries/week?)??

Thanks for any replies.

I'll give you an example: A colleague just found a starting FP position with OB starting at $200,000 with paid malpractice. Sweet, sweet deal. Not far from major cities. But this is certainly the exception, not the rule. It's my understanding that the differential with OB vs. FP without OB is about $40,000.

FP starting is 35-40k with HMO's; I would say with OB may bump it up to 55-60k.

Members don't see this ad :)
Le_Donald said:

Please tell me thats a total joke.

the hmo's in my neck of the woods pay fp 90-140 k/yr, no ob, no inpatients. clinic 40 hrs/week.

Le_Donald said:

This doesn't sound right...I thought FP Malpractice is only around $10k /yr....That $55-60k I'd believe for OB but I have trouble with the $35-40k????

Le_Donald said:

PA's don't even work that low usually!

I'm entering medical school this year and feel a growing interest in family practice as providing comprehensive care is a goal of mine as well. I know that obstetricians are compensated quite well, but the malpractice insurance is a thorn worries me. My sister, who is FP w/ OB, says that she only delivers uncomplicated vaginal births and if there are any complications for which she is not certain, she pages the OB on call. Is this common for FP? Also, how does the insurance you pay compare with that of an OB/Gyn and with the salary for an FP?

subtle1epiphany said:
I'm entering medical school this year and feel a growing interest in family practice as providing comprehensive care is a goal of mine as well. I know that obstetricians are compensated quite well, but the malpractice insurance is a thorn worries me. My sister, who is FP w/ OB, says that she only delivers uncomplicated vaginal births and if there are any complications for which she is not certain, she pages the OB on call. Is this common for FP? Also, how does the insurance you pay compare with that of an OB/Gyn and with the salary for an FP?

Why don't you ask her how much and let us know?