Compensation for Ob vs. Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my Ob/Gyn rotation I talked to a few private docs about how their practice has changed. Each made side comments about the Ob side of their practice making them the most money. I don't know much about billing, but it seems like surgery (gyn) would taking in more then deliveries. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

i don't know about which is more, but i have heard that ob reimbursements are up. at the hospital i recently rotated at, more and more FP's were trying to get OB shifts because of the new reimbursements.

however, even if they pay more, i think the cost of malpractice insurance would offset any major gains.

Gyn reimbursements are down and on top of that the surgery involves many costs and your return is low.

OB involves many antepartum office visits, there can often be many modifiers like a 25 (procedure) for a limited OB sono, etc and the potential for better return is higher especially if you carry them to term, vag delivery, and an uncomplicated post partum course.