Compensation Models

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it can be pretty confusing for those of us looking for new jobs, especially with comparing the different compensation models. Does anyone know any average numbers for percent of billing, collections, or profit for reimbursement with or without base salary? I've found a few numbers out there, but I can't find much. How do you compare jobs that use percent of billing vs percent of collections vs percent of profit?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you compare jobs that use percent of billing vs percent of collections vs percent of profit?

I'm not sure you can compare them. It would be stupid to pay somebody based on charges ("billing"), as collections are typically going to be 50-60% of charges. "Profit" is a nebulous term. I would avoid that, as well. Payment based on collections makes the most sense to me, and that's how we do it (collections - overhead = gross pay). The key is transparency. You have to be able to see where the money that's coming in is going. There shouldn't be any "black boxes." You should also, ideally, have control of your overhead. In reality, this is only likely to happen in private practice. If you work for a health system, be prepared for smoke and mirrors - and RVUs.

Reactions: 1 user
Working for a large physician group, our first year guarantee is the 85th percentile of MGMA data. We can get a bonus our first year based on quality metrics but not wRVU excess. Your subsequent years of salary are based on how many wRVUs you commit. Any wRVU overage does get a payback to you. The value of that reimbursement is determined by which quartile you fall into when compared amongst your peers in terms of quality so you may get $35 per wRVU up to $45 per wRVU in excess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working for a large physician group, our first year guarantee is the 85th percentile of MGMA data. We can get a bonus our first year based on quality metrics but not wRVU excess. Your subsequent years of salary are based on how many wRVUs you commit. Any wRVU overage does get a payback to you. The value of that reimbursement is determined by which quartile you fall into when compared amongst your peers in terms of quality so you may get $35 per wRVU up to $45 per wRVU in excess.
Virtually the same here.

Similar but I do get any RVU excess, and my bonus is based purely on percentage of AWV's completed - no quality measures past that.

Interestingly, my RVU rate is $40 until I hit 5700 RVUs then it goes up to $52