Compensation structure for HemeOnc

Started by specterMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

specterMD

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear private practice HemeOnc docs -

How are physicians compensated in the field of hematology and oncology? It seems like there are a ton of marginal IO drugs that are coming to market that provide no OS/QoL benefit, yet cost $XX,XXX a month.

Do physicians get paid more to prescribe these drugs? I'm just curious if Heme/Oncs that prescribe cheaper SoC therapies make less than their IO/precision oncology colleagues?

Thank you!
 
If you have a financial interest in the pharmacy/infusion side of things, potentially. But remember that you still have to buy the drug before you bill for it. And insurance companies aren't that interested in paying $30K/infusion either.

I am paid strictly on my productivity so I get paid the same whether I give them nothing, or Ultomiris.